Publishing operation failed because the console and remote server versions do not match. Solarwinds Patch Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have Solarwinds Patch Manager installed on a Windows Server 2012, WSUS1 is installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and WSUS2 is installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.  When attempting to install KB2734608 as recommended in the Publishing failure message, I get another message on WSUS1 or WSUS2: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

I have been working with Solar Winds Support team but still have the issue have been told I need to contact Microsoft for a solution.  I'm not sure how I can get MS involved if the problem is being presented by Solar Winds.

I looked through the forum and did not see these combined issues.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:35 PM

Answers

• that update is for WSUS 3.0 SP2.  Your 2012 and 2012 R2 servers run WSUS 6.1x and 6.2x respectively.  WSUS 3.0 SP2 does not run on operating systems higher than 2008 R2 so the hotfix is not going to work.

the issue covered under KB2734608 does not apply to the new WSUS versions so there's no point in chasing after installing that update

if you believe you're experiencing issues with the core WSUS components and not SW, run Windows Update on your WSUS servers to get the latest updates from the internet including cumulative updates which will update WSUS

it almost sounds like the installation of SW you've got isn't designed to work under 2012...

• Edited by armin19 Friday, July 31, 2015 6:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, August 10, 2015 3:15 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 6:22 PM
  • ...When attempting to install KB2734608 as recommended in the Publishing failure message, I get another message on WSUS1 or WSUS2: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

Instead of KB2734608, maybe this?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2938066

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, August 1, 2015 8:02 AM

All replies

• that update is for WSUS 3.0 SP2.  Your 2012 and 2012 R2 servers run WSUS 6.1x and 6.2x respectively.  WSUS 3.0 SP2 does not run on operating systems higher than 2008 R2 so the hotfix is not going to work.

the issue covered under KB2734608 does not apply to the new WSUS versions so there's no point in chasing after installing that update

if you believe you're experiencing issues with the core WSUS components and not SW, run Windows Update on your WSUS servers to get the latest updates from the internet including cumulative updates which will update WSUS

it almost sounds like the installation of SW you've got isn't designed to work under 2012...

• Edited by armin19 Friday, July 31, 2015 6:23 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, August 10, 2015 3:15 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 6:22 PM
  • ...When attempting to install KB2734608 as recommended in the Publishing failure message, I get another message on WSUS1 or WSUS2: "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

Instead of KB2734608, maybe this?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/2938066

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, August 1, 2015 8:02 AM