none
Task Notes Field Disappearing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PM who is reporting that they are entering notes into the Task Notes Field and later finding that they are gone.  The projects are being saved to Project Server 2010 (SP1).  He says he is saving a copy off line which has the notes but the online copy does not.

Has anyone experienced issues with the notes field where the data is deleting or not saving to the database?  My understanding is that some of the notes are extensive.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:52 PM

All replies

• Verify issue with latest SP i.e. SP2 with latest Cumulative Updates (February 2015 CU). Also verify client patch version as well.

Project 2010 Cumulative Updates: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp10.aspx

Hope this will help you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raushan Kumar |LinkedIn

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:22 PM
  • Chris --

In addition to the excellent information from Raushan, I would ask you what the PM means by "saved offline."  Does this mean the PM clicked File > Save As and then saved the project as an MPP file?  Or does this mean that the PM closed the project but did not check it in, allowing the PM to work with Microsoft Project in Offline mode?  I suspect it is the former situation, rather than the latter.  If this is the case, this is why it is NOT a good idea to be saving an enterprise project as an MPP file.  If this is what the PM has done, the PM can open the MPP file, click File > Save As, and then save it using the original name of the project, overwriting the enterprise project.  This should preserver the notes text in the MPP version of the project.

In addition, the sage advice from Raushan stands.  Get the PM and all of your PMs upgraded to SP2 on Microsoft Project 2010, along with the most recent Cumulative Update as well.  Without this, you are living with bugs that have been fixed in SP2 and the latest CU.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:30 PM
  • Dale,

My understanding is that he is saving a copy of project using the Save As.  He is the only PM that has reported this behavior so I have been trying to trace his steps.  For all I know, he could be Saving As and then entering notes and not know that he is not updating the copy on Project Server.  He puts a lot of notes in the notes fields which leads me to wonder if their is a limit to the amount of data that field can store.  I am puzzled and have not seen anything posted to lead me to believe that it isn't user error.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:51 PM