none
How to Customize UAC Prompts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I run as a standard user account (User1) on my Win 10 PC, and have another account (Admin1) which has administrative rights to do administrative-type tasks.  I'm in a domain environment and this works out well as I need to open up applications as other user accounts quite often and UAC prompts me to do so as expected.

My question is this:  Ever since Windows 10 - 1607 was released, I get prompted when trying to do administrative tasks on my PC as I normally would, but the UAC prompt has changed and it's extra steps to change to my Admin1 account when launching that application.  By default, UAC prompts and is asks me to enter the password for my User1 account, then if I want to sign in as my Admin1 account, I have to click the More Choices link below it to then select Use a Different Account, then type in Admin1 and the password.  

Whereas prior to 1607, UAC would prompt for credentials, then I would already have User1 and User another account listed where I could just type the password for either one.  This is similar to how Windows 7/8/10(build 1511) handled it.

Is there a way, if I'm signed in as User1, to have UAC always default to the Admin1, account where I can just type the password?  If not, how about a way to have it display both User1 and Admin1 accounts listed so I don't have to click the More Choices, then select Use a Different Account and type in Admin1 and the password?

Please see screenshots below.

I end up entering in credentials about 30-50 times per day on average and this would save me time in the long run...

Thank you.

Rory Schmitz

• Edited by RorySchmitz Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:57 PM Added notes below screenshots
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi RorySchmitz,

I checked symptom on my side. I found that we will get a default admin user if the machine is in a "WorkGroup" but we have to input the administrator account manually if the machine is in a domain. I have seen the symptom on Windows 7, Windows 10.1511, Windows 10.1607 version. So I thought this is an expected behavior if the machine is joined to a domain.

WorkGroup:

In domain:

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi RorySchmitz,

According to my test, I think this behavior is by design and I didn`t find any way to change it.

I am curious. Why you logon with a standard user since you have got an administrator account and you knew the administrator account password on the machine.
    As far as I know, we still use standard user token if we login the machine with administrator. When we want to open an application with administrator token, we will be given a prompt to approve the operation automatically. If we don`t want to approve this operation, we could deny it. This would be more reasonable and convenient if we have got an administrator account on the machine.

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi RorySchmitz,

I checked symptom on my side. I found that we will get a default admin user if the machine is in a "WorkGroup" but we have to input the administrator account manually if the machine is in a domain. I have seen the symptom on Windows 7, Windows 10.1511, Windows 10.1607 version. So I thought this is an expected behavior if the machine is joined to a domain.

WorkGroup:

In domain:

Best regards

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Thank you for confirming, MeipoXu.  Are you aware of a way to change the default behavior so that when in a Domain, it will display the Admin account?

Rory Schmitz

Monday, February 13, 2017 1:30 PM
  • Hi RorySchmitz,

According to my test, I think this behavior is by design and I didn`t find any way to change it.

I am curious. Why you logon with a standard user since you have got an administrator account and you knew the administrator account password on the machine.
    As far as I know, we still use standard user token if we login the machine with administrator. When we want to open an application with administrator token, we will be given a prompt to approve the operation automatically. If we don`t want to approve this operation, we could deny it. This would be more reasonable and convenient if we have got an administrator account on the machine.

Best regards

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:01 AM