FSX kneeboard trouble with IE8 RRS feed

• Question

• The FSX kneeboard screen is black, and as I see on every forum the problem is IE8. As the two products are from Microsoft, I hope you can solved it.

Is there a sollution?

Sorry for my english.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your problem description, I know that the issue only occurred after installing Internet Explorer 8, I suggest you removing the application from Programs and Features wizard or restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Meanwhile, thank you for bringing this to our attention; I have forwarded this information on to our development team. Customers' feedback is very important to us. Also, I suggest you offer the idea to the following link: <http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/outreach/ideas/ideas.mspx>.Your feedbacks are always welcomed there.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 13, 2009 3:49 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your problem description, I know that the issue only occurred after installing Internet Explorer 8, I suggest you removing the application from Programs and Features wizard or restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Meanwhile, thank you for bringing this to our attention; I have forwarded this information on to our development team. Customers' feedback is very important to us. Also, I suggest you offer the idea to the following link: <http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/outreach/ideas/ideas.mspx>.Your feedbacks are always welcomed there.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 13, 2009 3:49 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:27 AM
  • Thanks, but I'm a Windows 7 beta tester, so I can't unistall IE8.

What I want to know is if is there a way to go around IE8 in FSX, or any compatibility patch.

Thanks again
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Hi, the Windows Vista IE forum is for general Windows Vista OS only. Please do not Windows 7 post questions in this thread. Make sure to choose the appropriate Windows forum before submitting an inquiry. For your information, please submit the thread to Windows 7 Application Compatibility. Thanks for your understanding!

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:31 PM
  • I'm talking about IE8, not Windows 7. This error is reported by people with XP, Vista AND W7.

Thanks for YOUR understanding ;)

Anyway, I'm really astonished, I report a possible error in IE and the answer is: uninstall IE.

Thanks anyway.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Hello,

Since there is no IE8 related forum existed at the moment and your OS is Windows 7, this forum is not the right place to assist you on this issue; you'd better refer to IE8 newsgroup. Please understand that I do not mean to bounce you between supports; I just want to involve enough resource and direct you to the right channel to resolve this problem quickly.

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 13, 2009 3:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 13, 2009 3:49 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 10:27 AM
  • OK.

Thanks.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:32 PM
  • We've tried the IE8 beta newsgroups, but it doesn't appear that anyone from Microsoft is actually monitoring them...

The consensous of the community is:

"You are seeing an HTA (HTML Application).  These utilize the IE
    libraries to built a UI.  No matter what Microsoft claims, I have not
    yet seen an HTA that wasn't sensitive to new versions of IE.  Back many
    years when I used Symantec and McAfee products (but no longer), they
    also used an HTA to provide a UI to get at the configuration settings.
    They, too, ran into problems with each next released version of IE.  It
    is up to the author of the HTA to update their code to support the new
    version of IE.  Although both the game and web browser are owned by
    Microsoft, you need to contact Microsoft regarding them providing an
    update for the game (if it is still support, that is)."

So yeah, we need to get someone that has access to the FSX code base (and since MS laid off Aces Studios who knows who that is) to update the HTA that FSX is using to work with the new IE libs.

I also tried to open up a support case on this, but the Games for Windows support site seems to think that the Product ID that I copied from the help menu in Flight Sim is actually the Product ID for some other game and won't let me continue without paying some outrageous hourly fee.

It's just bad form that an IE update would break a large feature in another Microsoft product.  This is what we've come to expect from the "Games for Windows" experience however.  If an X-box 360 update had broken Halo 3... it would have been fixed in hours.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:27 PM
  • This problem has gone away in the release version of Windows 7. Looks like they have patched the compatibility view in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) to correctly handle clients using the IE7 ActiveX control, i.e. Flight Simulator X.
    • Proposed as answer by AnturGyffrous Monday, October 19, 2009 9:08 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:07 AM