none
MSG files open as PST in some PC's IE browser RRS feed

• Question

• Some users when they open MSG files stored in SharePoint 2013 library from internet explorer they got a open or save message, but the file extension become PST for no reason, when they open the library from chrome it saves as MSG file, so the problem in internet explorer only. Any ideas.

Thanks

• Edited by Omar Tabasi Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:25 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Omar Tabasi

MSG file made by Microsoft, used by Outlook Email client & Exchange server. PST stands for Personal Storage Table is simply a file format used to store user data. The PST file is used by all Outlook Email client versions. There is no manual method to perform Outlook MSG file to PST conversion, however, you can view the Outlook message file when you have Outlook email client.  Simply using Drag & Drop messages: Open Outlook email client, Select MSG file Drag file and drop in Outlook.

So I suggest that we could reset IE settings to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737

If the issue still insists, I suggest that we could contact Outlook or SharePoint forum to get help.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Dear Omar,

Thank you for consulting Microsoft community.

I agree with Carl Fan. Simply, you can Drag .msg from the location where it is saved & Drop it into Outlook email client.

For more info or see step by step manual conversion click here: http://www.msg-to.pstrecovery.net/

But, in case if Outlook is not installed in your machine, nevertheless you can read .msg file without any issue. Only you have to use free tool to open MSG file without installation of Outlook.

Thanks & Regards
    Kelvin Howard

Friday, September 30, 2016 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Omar Tabasi

MSG file made by Microsoft, used by Outlook Email client & Exchange server. PST stands for Personal Storage Table is simply a file format used to store user data. The PST file is used by all Outlook Email client versions. There is no manual method to perform Outlook MSG file to PST conversion, however, you can view the Outlook message file when you have Outlook email client.  Simply using Drag & Drop messages: Open Outlook email client, Select MSG file Drag file and drop in Outlook.

So I suggest that we could reset IE settings to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923737

If the issue still insists, I suggest that we could contact Outlook or SharePoint forum to get help.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Dear Omar,

Thank you for consulting Microsoft community.

I agree with Carl Fan. Simply, you can Drag .msg from the location where it is saved & Drop it into Outlook email client.

For more info or see step by step manual conversion click here: http://www.msg-to.pstrecovery.net/

But, in case if Outlook is not installed in your machine, nevertheless you can read .msg file without any issue. Only you have to use free tool to open MSG file without installation of Outlook.

Thanks & Regards
    Kelvin Howard

Friday, September 30, 2016 10:08 AM
  • I am having the same issue even after I reset I.E. on both P.C.s (Win7/I.E. 11 32Bit).  After saving it, you can rename it back to MSG and you are fine, but the issue at hand here is that we are review hundreds of MSG files.  Typically you can open the file instead of first having to save it, rename and then open it.  As of now, you can't open the file as the prompt indicates you can't open a PST file in this fashion (which if it was true, is correct).  To me this is an I.E. issue. Is there a MIME setting on our IIS server that is serving this up that needs to be edited?

Thank you,

I should also mention this is not being hosted on a Share Point server.  I have reached out to the vendor and they are saying it is an I.E. issue and not their software serving up the file in this way.

--T.j.

• Edited by TJ_Work Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:04 PM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 5:01 PM
  • I agree with this post.  The question is not how to save MSG files.  The problem is the MSG files in SharePoint are being interpreted as PST by the client.  I have the same issue and there are absolutely no PST files in the SharePoint library.  There are only MSG files.  Last week they would open normally.  Something has changed on the clients that now considers MSG files PSTs.  You can see it when you right click and try to save the link.  It will save the MSG extension as a PST.

The issue is with application/vnd.ms-outlook

Here is a similar topic:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8efe300d-c917-4be7-a0f3-e620e029842b/what-mime-type-can-i-use-for-msg-files?forum=netfxnetcom

Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:41 AM
  • The problem is the MSG files in SharePoint are being interpreted as PST by the client.

So, find out how it is happening.  Use ProcMon for absolute clarity.  Otherwise, you could try doing things like using  assoc  .msg  in a command window.  FWIW I just did that and got a surprise:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>assoc .msg
    .msg=OemOobe.Document

C:\WINDOWS\system32>assoc .pst
    File association not found for extension .pst

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftype OemOobe.Document
    OemOobe.Document=C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~2\Office15\FIRSTRUN.EXE /OEM "%1"

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

WTH?  I don't have any Office products installed on this partition.  Where did this come from?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:12 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm also having this issue on a particular PC. The repsonse marked as answer and approved has nothing to do with the question.
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Hello Everyone!!

This NSF to PST converter tool converts all the NSF file data in PST very easily. This software allows the users to convert NSF data into PST,MSG and EML.The application carries advance functionality and requires less time for instant and bulk migration.

Download link: http://www.filesrecoverytools.com/nsf-to-pst-converter.html

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:03 AM