none
Microsoft Project Professional 2013 - Resource Graph not matching with Resource Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

I have come across a possible bug in Microsoft Project Professional 2013 (standalone).

It is to do with Resource Curves.

When I populate my resources and then compare the ‘Resource Usage’ to the ‘Resource Graph’, when using the ‘Peak Units’, it shows an unexplained spike. See screenshots attached.

You will notice that for the Tech in the week of August 28, the peak units on the graph shows as 600% while the usage for the same week is around 24h p.day = around 300%

The maximum for Tech is 100%; normal 8 hr days

Nothing peculiar in the calenders.

This happens in two places only on that schedule.

Any ideas why this should be happening? Or is this a known bug?

Thanks   

Hardcore Scheduler

Attachments:-

Hardcore Scheduling Inc

Friday, June 17, 2016 8:33 PM

Answers

• Hardcore,

Not a bug. What you do show is something that looks "interesting" but what you don't show is the Peak Units on the Resource Usage view. Consider the following example. Note that even though the resource is overallocated at what looks like 300% (i.e. 24 hours) on Monday, the Peak Units are 6. So how can that be?

Now take a look at the expanded timescale of the Resource Usage view. Whoa, the resources is scheduled to work 6 hours during the first hour of the day and various other overallocations during the rest of the day. That first hour was the killer that popped his peak units up to 6.

I suggest you add the Peak Units to the Resource Usage view and then expand the timescale as necessary to find the overallocation bottleneck.

By the way, you should also check to insure you have the June '16 Cumulative Update for Project 2013.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:30 AM

All replies

• Hardcore,

Not a bug. What you do show is something that looks "interesting" but what you don't show is the Peak Units on the Resource Usage view. Consider the following example. Note that even though the resource is overallocated at what looks like 300% (i.e. 24 hours) on Monday, the Peak Units are 6. So how can that be?

Now take a look at the expanded timescale of the Resource Usage view. Whoa, the resources is scheduled to work 6 hours during the first hour of the day and various other overallocations during the rest of the day. That first hour was the killer that popped his peak units up to 6.

I suggest you add the Peak Units to the Resource Usage view and then expand the timescale as necessary to find the overallocation bottleneck.

By the way, you should also check to insure you have the June '16 Cumulative Update for Project 2013.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:30 AM
  • Thanks John.

You are spot on - thanks.  Relieved to know that my Project 2013 is not corrupted.

BTW, is there an easy way to obtain the June 16 Cumulative Update for Project 2013?

Thanks again

Hardcore Scheduler

Hardcore Scheduling Inc

Monday, June 20, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Hardcore,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

The best way to keep Project updated is to run Windows Update. If you want to read more about updates for Project 2013, see

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/p/msp13/

John

Monday, June 20, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Thanks again, John. 

Hardcore Scheduling Inc

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:47 PM