Windows Photo Viewer - How to reuse existing windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been searching for a way to reuse the existing WPV window.  I am a digital artist and so it's very important to have a light weight and quick image viewer that will not clutter my workspace.  Productivity is essential and WPV currently detracts from it.

Due to the numbers of textures that I work with, adding an additional mouse click just to close each separate window will add a considerable amount of wasted production time.  And while I do use thumbnails in the folder view I still need to open the image at full resolution in order to view the textures details.  This is a non negotiable requirement so any previews, whether thumbnails or explorer preview, will not meet my needs. 

If WPV cannot reuse existing windows are there any lightweight and fast alternatives that will?  Please keep in mind that I'm looking for an image viewer and not other ways to view my texture libraries, explorer handles that task just fine.

Thanks!
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:13 PM

Answers

• IrfanVIew opens very quickly. Not sure how you would set it as the default picture viewer, but if you can I think it would work for you. Worth a look at least.

Rich
    • Marked as answer by milo99 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:09 AM
  • Hello,

I've been searching for a way to reuse the existing WPV window.  I am a digital artist and so it's very important to have a light weight and quick image viewer that will not clutter my workspace.  Productivity is essential and WPV currently detracts from it.

Due to the numbers of textures that I work with, adding an additional mouse click just to close each separate window will add a considerable amount of wasted production time.  And while I do use thumbnails in the folder view I still need to open the image at full resolution in order to view the textures details.  This is a non negotiable requirement so any previews, whether thumbnails or explorer preview, will not meet my needs. 

If WPV cannot reuse existing windows are there any lightweight and fast alternatives that will?  Please keep in mind that I'm looking for an image viewer and not other ways to view my texture libraries, explorer handles that task just fine.

Thanks!
    Hi

The only way I know of to accomplish this with WPV would be if the texture images you want to view are in consecutive order in a folder. If they are, you can simply click the arrows on the command bar at the bottom of the WPV window to display the next/previous image in the folder.

If this doesn't work for you, I would suggest following Ztruker's advice and check out Irfanview. This application allows you to drag and drop image files onto the applications window to open them and quickly replace the current image, without opening a new window. You can also drag and drop the image onto the Irfanview Taskbar icon to open it.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by milo99 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:36 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:17 PM

All replies

• IrfanVIew opens very quickly. Not sure how you would set it as the default picture viewer, but if you can I think it would work for you. Worth a look at least.

Rich
    • Marked as answer by milo99 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:35 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:09 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks!
    Hi

The only way I know of to accomplish this with WPV would be if the texture images you want to view are in consecutive order in a folder. If they are, you can simply click the arrows on the command bar at the bottom of the WPV window to display the next/previous image in the folder.

If this doesn't work for you, I would suggest following Ztruker's advice and check out Irfanview. This application allows you to drag and drop image files onto the applications window to open them and quickly replace the current image, without opening a new window. You can also drag and drop the image onto the Irfanview Taskbar icon to open it.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Marked as answer by milo99 Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:36 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:17 PM
  • Thanks for the tip for IrfanView.  It's fantastic and perfect for my needs.  It even has an option to set itself on top of other windows, perfect for references.  Thanks again guys!
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:37 PM