Mail going missing to distribution list RRS feed

• Question

• I have a primary domain and two child domains (each with their own DC) and mailboxes for all users in Exchange 2010 on a member server in the primary domain.

I've found an issue when sending mail to a distribution list in the primary domain.  On tracking the message (using Get-MessageTrackingLog) which wasn't delivered to the members of the distribution list, I can see that the SourceContext is the FQDN of one of the child domain DC's.

Other messages sent to the same distribution list which are delivered correctly go via one of the two parent domain DC's when I look at the tracking logs.

I don't know which bit of Exchange or AD setup is controlling which DC is used by Exchange to expand the distribution list.  Clearly the lookup on the wrong domain returns nothing so the message is lost.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can set your exchange servers to use specific domain controllers

Set-ExchangeServer -StaticExcludedDomainControllers ChildDC1,ChildDC2

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

• Marked as answer by Tippers Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tippers Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:45 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:04 PM
  • But won't Exchange then complain it can't find the users in those child domains?

Or will it still find them via the parent domain DNS?

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:06 PM
  • As long as the parent domain sees the users then you should be fine. Also check the expansion server on the disto group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997033(v=exchg.65).aspx

DJ Grijalva | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 SPA 2010 | www.persistentcerebro.com

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Great thanks, I've removed the two child domain DC's and will keep an eye on the distribution list processing.

The expansion server only list the Exchange server, not DC's.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:37 PM
  • I've found a problem with this solution; removing the child domain controllers prevent the users in the child domains from being able to log onto OWA and ActiveSync.  The error message shown to the user is that a Domain Controller for the child.domain.local does not exist.

Any ideas?

Monday, October 13, 2014 10:53 AM
  • The answer was not to set the child DC's as StaticExcludedDomainControllers but instead to make the scope of distribution group Universal rather than Global so other DC's knew about it.

This post helped me reach that conclusion: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/acd573d5-8873-410c-8e01-032ddb7b14bb/distribution-list-not-empty-sometimes-expands-to-0-recipients?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

• Marked as answer by Tippers Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:47 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:47 PM