Copy file from VFS to c:\Program files location RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All,

I am doing evaluation of Softgrid.

One of the application that I virtualized has a requirement which I am finding difficult to resolve in Softgrid.

This application is installed in Q:\Program files\ {application A directory}.

When this application starts up , it checks for a file in C:\Program files\ {application B directory}

If it does not find the file it will copy the file to C:\Program files\ {application B directory}

In short we are trying to make the virtualized application copy a file into location “C:\Program files\{Application B Directory}” location.

When application tries to do this , softgrid  writes the file to the Virtual file system.

Users should have the ability to manually copy this file to “C:\Program files\{Application B Directory}”. That’s why this location has to be out of VFS.

How can I over ride this and force to create the file out of VFS.

Thanks for your help

Monday, August 25, 2008 9:07 PM

Answers

• curio,

Do you have this C:\Program files\ {application B directory} on the sequence (does it show on the VFS tab)? If so, just remove it from there (or change it to semi-virtualized by taking "Virtualized" -check away from the context menu of the folder in the VFS tab) as copy to non-virtualized folders will go to real filesystem?

br,

Kalle

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:05 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:46 AM

All replies

• Your package root directory should be Q:\8.3 (Q:\AppB.v1)

http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/archive/2007/10/04/getting-to-the-root-of-the-8-3-root.aspx

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:20 AM
  •  

check this link...might be u'r area of interest...

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2920718&SiteID=17

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:29 AM
  • curio,

Do you have this C:\Program files\ {application B directory} on the sequence (does it show on the VFS tab)? If so, just remove it from there (or change it to semi-virtualized by taking "Virtualized" -check away from the context menu of the folder in the VFS tab) as copy to non-virtualized folders will go to real filesystem?

br,

Kalle

• Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:05 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:46 AM
  • Yes that works.

If the package does not have any reference to "program files" location the file copy works.

I am also trying to evaluate the other two options mentioned in previous replies BoruRR & spontaneous.

I will post the details of my findings and the solution we selected.

Thanks for your help.

• Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:05 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Just wanted to update the solution thats finally used,

The suggested solutions - by Kalle and "spontaneous" works.

We finally decided to use a startup script to copy the files.

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 4:24 PM