none
Project Server 2013--question about task update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I would like to know when project members update their task in "My Task" page, how to get the actual working hours as well as accomplish percentage while keeping the planned working hours? Based on my test, if I add the actual working hours to the task update view, and then update the task with actual work time. The planned working hours will also changed! How can project members update their actual working time while keep the planned working time for comparion? Any idear is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Anna

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:57 AM

Answers

• Sorry for jumping in here, but you will need to get familiar with updating the baseline for individual tasks - check out the Set Baseline UI where you can set a baseline for selected tasks.  I often write a filter based on a Flag field which quickly identifies which tasks do not have a baseline...  Please see the following images which will walk you through it.  the actual formula used in 2. is

IIf([Baseline Estimated Start]=4294967295,False,True)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by Anna Ruan Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Hi Anna,

if you save a baseline initially, your planned work will be kept in "Baseline Work". Baseline will also keep your original Start and Finish dates and you can easily compare with using a tracking view.

Your planned work is automatically updated by deswign - facts are stronger than your planning.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara  

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Hi Anna,

Once approved by the PM, the actual work will be pushed into the planned work (simply called work). This is by design.

If you do need to keep track on the initial work, then I'd advice to regularly save baselines. Then you'll be able to compare your initial plan with the updated one.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Please find here the procedure to add a task to an existing baseline.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Anna,

if you save a baseline initially, your planned work will be kept in "Baseline Work". Baseline will also keep your original Start and Finish dates and you can easily compare with using a tracking view.

Your planned work is automatically updated by deswign - facts are stronger than your planning.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara  

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:43 AM
  • Hi Anna,

Once approved by the PM, the actual work will be pushed into the planned work (simply called work). This is by design.

If you do need to keep track on the initial work, then I'd advice to regularly save baselines. Then you'll be able to compare your initial plan with the updated one.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for Guillaume's and Barbabra's suggestion. I do know we can save baseline. However, we often add new tasks and once adding new task, how do we add it to the original baseline? And it is not conveient to save baseline all the way. Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

Anna

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:52 AM
  • Sorry for jumping in here, but you will need to get familiar with updating the baseline for individual tasks - check out the Set Baseline UI where you can set a baseline for selected tasks.  I often write a filter based on a Flag field which quickly identifies which tasks do not have a baseline...  Please see the following images which will walk you through it.  the actual formula used in 2. is

IIf([Baseline Estimated Start]=4294967295,False,True)

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Please find here the procedure to add a task to an existing baseline.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:29 AM