Access Issues for the web site created on the same web server as the Sharepoint Web site is hosted on the intranet RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Share point 2007 Web site hosted on a Web Server (Windows Server 2008) and it is available only within the corporate network. The share point site is hosted on port 80 (and also not the default web site on IIS). The authentication is via the Active Directory.

The main criteria is that site should be accessible remotely as well. With present configuration the share point site is accessible remotely after connecting to our corporate network.

We also created additional web sites on the same web server and those sites are available only when we are on the office premises and not available remotely. The web site is set up similar to the share point site.

My understanding is once I am authenticated to the web server, all web sites on the web server should be available.

What can be the problem? Are there any config files that we need to update if the sites port is different?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 9, 2011 8:54 AM off-topic not accessibility (From:SharePoint - Accessibility (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 12:03 PM

Answers

• I don't think the problem is with the SharePoint server.  I suspect the problem is with the way your corporate Firewall is configured.  The firewall may be configured to only allow access to the url that is the SharePoint web site.  If so all the other web sites would only be available inside the office.  Find out who is maintaining the company firewall and ask them to add the other web sites to allow access externally.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by dayaMSDN Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:21 PM

All replies

• I don't think the problem is with the SharePoint server.  I suspect the problem is with the way your corporate Firewall is configured.  The firewall may be configured to only allow access to the url that is the SharePoint web site.  If so all the other web sites would only be available inside the office.  Find out who is maintaining the company firewall and ask them to add the other web sites to allow access externally.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by dayaMSDN Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Thanks Paul. That was a good lead.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:18 PM
  • What I found is our corporate has enabled only one port to access via remotely.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:11 AM