Install .Net 3.5 on Windows Server 2012 R2 without Installation media RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I'm developing an app that require enabling .Net3.5 on the machine.

My setup process is using the powershell command of Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName \"NetFx3\" -Source ".\NetFX3\Server2012R2\" -LimitAccess -All

the relative path of .\NetFX3\Server2012R2\ is where I need to keep the files scenery for installing NetFX3.

For windows 10, server 2016 and server 2019 I use files from the installation media (sources\sxs\) and this method works fine.

In server 2012 R2 instalation media there are many directories and I don't know which of them are needed.

I don't want to copy all the content of sources\sxs\ to my setup.

Is there a way to know EXACTLY what I need from the sxs folder for adding NetFX3?

Sunday, February 9, 2020 6:00 PM

All replies

• Development questions are better addressed somewhere on MSDN, possibly over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=netfxsetup

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, February 9, 2020 6:14 PM
  • I am not aware of an official way to restrict what needs to be copied so better to copy all the folder. You may try to use ProcessMonitor and see if you can identify which files are being accessed during the installation.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, February 9, 2020 10:28 PM
  • All directories in \sources\sxs\ belong to NetFX3 feature and all of them are needed

by the way, \sources\sxs\ is language-specific, installation media lang must match OS lang

Monday, February 10, 2020 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

For adding NetFX3, the content of sources\sxs\ are all needed.

Also as Dave said, development related questions I suggest you submit a new case on MSDN forum as they will be more professional on your issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ 

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 10, 2020 8:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:22 AM
  • Is there a cab file replacement for the SxS folder?

I've encountered a problem using the SxS folder of Server 2012 R2.
    The SxS folder containing folders with long names. this causes the path length to be too long and the "Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature" command fails with an error: "The source files could not be found."

I've tested this with windows 10, server 2016 and server 2019
    and it worked fine. those OS SxS folders containing a cab file.

So I assume that using a single cab file will solve the problem. also, this will solve an issue I'm having adding these files into an Azure git repository: It won't let me add them because the path is too long.  

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 5:07 PM