none
Windows 10 Fails to Update after Domain Join RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My business is trying to migrate to Windows 10 Pro x64 on all computers. One issue I noticed after deployment is that Windows Updates cannot download new updates after we have joined the PC to the domain. We are able to download/install updates before the domain join, and also if I remove the PC from the domain. I also noticed I am not able to download updates or new apps from the Microsoft Store. Our current machines, which have Windows 7 Pro, are able to download and install updates without issue.

The error code I get initially is 0x80070057 which doesn't provide any valuable solutions when researching. After looking in the event viewer I found error code 0x80240034, which is "WU_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILED"

I have tried:

• Resetting Windows update components, and running the Windows Update troubleshooter.
    • DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
    • Re-Imaging the machine.
    • Creating an OU to block inheritance, so I could see if I could use the process of elimination on our current GPOs. This still didn't work and the only GPO applied was the default domain policy. I couldn't see anything in this GPO that was obvious.

Considering the updates can download/install before the domain join, I believe we can eliminate network/dns issues. My next thought is Windows Firewall, but we don't have anything specific GPOs for the firewall except to allow other services through.

Any thoughts on the next steps?

Thursday, February 15, 2018 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevinm92,

Make these changes manually to check.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]

"IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]

"UxOption"=dword:00000000

gpedit.msc (right-click and run as administrator!) -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates -> Not Configured

cmd.exe (right-click and run as administrator!) ->type gpupdate /force

Restart the computer.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Sadly this did not resolve my issue.

• Edited by Kevinm92 Friday, February 16, 2018 2:43 PM
    Friday, February 16, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Update: I was able to un-enforce the default domain policy for a few minutes. After doing so, Windows Updates and Store apps were able to download/install. I'm looking at the GPO and nothing is standing out... what could possibly be blocking downloads?

Friday, February 16, 2018 8:26 PM
  • Bump... still need help.

I understand someone can't tell me exactly what's wrong with my GPO settings, but I am hoping to understand what Windows 10 needs configured so it can allow updates through WUA and the Store.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:01 PM
  • Update: I was able to un-enforce the default domain policy for a few minutes. After doing so, Windows Updates and Store apps were able to download/install. I'm looking at the GPO and nothing is standing out... what could possibly be blocking downloads?

Hi,

Can you describe what you did to disable momentary the policy?  I'm having the same problem with some of my domain laptops.

Thx!

• Edited by Deathride50 Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:15 AM typos!
    Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:14 AM