Lync Server 2010 : SIP or ISDN or none RRS feed

• Question

• hi, I want to ask following that:

1. can we use lync without SIP or ISDN lines, and use it just for Internet based voice/video conferences and file transfer.

2. can we use lync server with ISDN lines where ISDN lines are shared with Avaya IP office system for voice.

Thank you

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm not sure I understand you. But Lync cannot work without SIP (it is used as the signalling protocol. No signal=no call).

However, Of' course Lync can share lines with Avaya.

If Teleco phone lines are connected to Avaya, you need your Avaya IPBPX to integrate with Lync. In this case Avaya need to (Talk) SIP, and Mediation rule should be installed to Lync Server.

In case Avaya can't take SIP to Lync. You will need a Media Gateway to interface with Lync through SIP and with Avaya through whatever Avaya can do.

Best Regards,
    Hany Taha | UC/Voice Infrastructure Consultant | Technical Consultancy Services | Nile.Com | Mobile: +20 (10) 01686836
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not sure I understand you. But Lync cannot work without SIP (it is used as the signalling protocol. No signal=no call).

However, Of' course Lync can share lines with Avaya.

If Teleco phone lines are connected to Avaya, you need your Avaya IPBPX to integrate with Lync. In this case Avaya need to (Talk) SIP, and Mediation rule should be installed to Lync Server.

In case Avaya can't take SIP to Lync. You will need a Media Gateway to interface with Lync through SIP and with Avaya through whatever Avaya can do.

Best Regards,
    Hany Taha | UC/Voice Infrastructure Consultant | Technical Consultancy Services | Nile.Com | Mobile: +20 (10) 01686836
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Thank you , i just wanted to know SIP / Lync connectivity.

Friday, January 20, 2012 5:15 AM