none
Workaround for not being able to update Units in PWA 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've seen lots of info about not being able to update Units in PWA 2010.  What I'm looking for is any advice on a workaround.

Do we just accept that we have to use Project Pro to effectively schedule?  Has this truly been fixed in 2013?

In our situation we are using project server to manage project and non-project work.  Teammembers are often updating these non-project schedules with operational tasks that they have to schedule.  Because of the limitations in the tool, this potentially means we have to give team members project pro to update a simple task.  This would make this solution very expensive.

Any other suggestions?

• Edited by doc torb Monday, March 4, 2013 9:14 PM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 9:13 PM

All replies

• Team member should be entering hours work.  Not sure why a resource manager or project manager would want to allow team members to update %units.  If you do, then you will need project pro.  My suggestion, for operation task, set it as a fix duration from 1/1 to 12/31 and have the enter hours each week and then update remaining workd as requierd.

Operational schedules should be managed by the resource manager.  The resource managers can set the %unit, if that makes it easy.  Keep in mind, these are all estimates and the resource can enter actual hours each week,

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Monday, March 4, 2013 9:54 PM
  • We decided to do the following:

• for new operational task requests, we are adding items and estimating hours
    • we do not do assignments as to not draw down our capacity - we are also considering making these manual tasks so we can enter unstructured data for dates (TBD), etc. so these tasks don't "hang" around specific dates in the schedule -- a sort of backlog
    • the resource manager will then do planning (monthly) based on the work estimates -- units/duration/dates can be adjusted accordingly with project pro
    • these tasks would be set to auto once planned
    • we are also looking at creating a line in the resource plan to hold capacity for this operational work -- the corresponding resource utilization date would have to be updated

I think we have something decent worked out unless someone sees it differently.

• Edited by doc torb Monday, March 11, 2013 8:45 PM
    Monday, March 11, 2013 8:24 PM