Microsoft Safety Scanner and Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• It found some files on my SBS2003/Exchange 2003 server and Im wondering if its safe to allow it to try to disinfect some files.  Should I let it?
    Monday, November 25, 2013 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is not recommended to modify or move any files in Bin directory. The Bin directory contains the Exchange server programs, some of which are used by the Exchange Gateway Installation program.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:50 AM

All replies

• C'mon, guy . . . WHAT files? In what directory? Geeze.

If you haven't excluded directories/processes fro scanning, start here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nawar/archive/2011/02/17/exchange-antivirus-exclusion-lists.aspx

Then think about update your ten-year-old software. :-)

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, November 25, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Well, there are 1472 files so its not easy to list them out, otherwise I would have.  I did not exclude any folders for the scan, either.

And as I type this, I have a new box and am deploying EX2010 to it, so this fix would only be temporary.

It looks like, as Im going through the list of files, that the only files affect that deal with Exchange are in the BIN directory and not any databases.
    • Edited by Scottdog129 Monday, November 25, 2013 11:23 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 11:02 PM
  • It won't be temporary if you don't exclude the necessary folders from being scanned. Visit the URL in my earlier message and then follow the link for your release(s) of Exchange.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

It is not recommended to modify or move any files in Bin directory. The Bin directory contains the Exchange server programs, some of which are used by the Exchange Gateway Installation program.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:50 AM