Curious behavior of agent automatically being installed RRS feed

• Question

• My environment:

Server 2012 R2

AD functional level 2008 R2 running on Server 2012 R2

SCCM 2012 R2 SP1, 5.00.8239.1000

Short version: Create a site system server and only give the system the site system role so that it ends up only having ‘Site system’ & ‘Component server’. A short time after, you will see the SCCM agent install to the server. Once this happens I’ve had random issues with WDS needing to be restarted because PXE will stop responding. Not to mention the annoyance of having logs jump over to the root partition where the agent installed into to the C:\CCM\logs folder instead of the SMS_CCM directory on wherever I decided to make the deployment volume.

However if when creating the site system server, I make sure to add more than the default level of roles, a distribution point role or management site role, this behavior doesn’t happen. I never end up seeing the agent automatically install and everything works wonderfully.

I’ve just been curious if others see this same behavior.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:13 PM

All replies

• How did you determine that the agent was installed? This does not happen automatically. Any chance that you are mixing 'client' and 'Management point' as they are sharing components?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:15 PM
  • One of my campuses wasn't able to PXE their workstation. I looked at their site system, which had the roles Site system, Distribution point, and component server applied. I went digging and noticed on C:\ there were now the three directories I'd normally have on a regular workstation.

C:\Windows\CCM
    C:\Windows\ccmcache
    C:\Windows\ccmsetup

When I went to control panel on the server I had a configuration manager object.

I didn't have that on any of our other site systems so I went through what had been different between this servers build and the others. The one thing that stood out is I had left this build with only Site System and component sever applied for a few days before going back and applying distribution point.

I build a few other site system servers. The ones where I left those two roles for a few days would have the agent after a few days. The ones where I'd deploy all three roles (or any combo beyond the base 2 got the agent eventually).

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 3:27 PM
  • Dear Sir,

How the client being installed depends on how you've configured it. If they were installed automatically, then you need to check what agent installation method has been ready in your hierarchy and check the configuration one by one.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 5, 2016 8:01 AM