winload.exe fails to start when restarting pc but works when manually rebooting with power button RRS feed

• Question

• The title just about explains it all.  I'm running windows 7 pro 32bit.  

Put a new hard drive in clonning the old drive.  windows comes up normal and it worsk super fast with the new SSD but when i restart the computer wont come back on.  I get a "windows boot manager" error.  "windows failed to start  file: \windows\system32\winload.exe

BUT  computer comes right back on if i hold the power button down, shutting down and turn it back on. Then the computers boots up fast, but if i restart or shutdown from within windows without manually using the power button then windows will not come up.

anybody got any ideas?

already ran sfc /scannow and it found nothing

ran check disk and found no problem.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:26 AM

Answers

• This question can be closed now.  went into the bios and reset it to defaults and the problem went away.  I have no clue why that would fix it but computer works fine now.
    • Marked as answer by flxadmin Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:07 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:07 PM

All replies

• Perform startup repair using the Windows 7 disc.

‘Startup Repair: frequently asked questions’

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Startup-Repair-frequently-asked-questions

‘What are the system recovery options in Windows 7?’

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Follow the steps provided in the following KB article and check if the issue persists.

‘How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows’

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2015 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Since third party clone software frequently cause this kind of system corruption and it’s not fixable, we only recommend two ways for system installation on new hard disk: performing a clean install or using windows system image restore and both ways need reactivate Windows 7. if suggestion from S.Sengupta doesn't help, we suggest you perform a clean install or recovery from system image if you still have data on old hard disk. 

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:14 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 2:01 AM
  • This question can be closed now.  went into the bios and reset it to defaults and the problem went away.  I have no clue why that would fix it but computer works fine now.
    • Marked as answer by flxadmin Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:07 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:07 PM