none
DPM Consolidate Storage Pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question. Using DPM 2010 with latest Updates running on a HP NAS that has total 6TB Space.

In DPM i have 2 storage pools created via 2 volumes. One is 2TB and the other is 3TB.

Allocated space is 4TB while used is 1.2TB. My question here is, is there a possibility to consolidate both storage volumes into 1. The allocated space is unused as far as I understand and the actual space would be enough to fit into the 3TB volume.

The Idea is i want to join both storage pools into 1 (the 3TB storage Pool) and remove the first from DPM so it can be used for other things. Is this even possible or am I doomed to live with this forever?

Are there any tools that help with DPM Storage Consolidation or is this an option that is not available at all?

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

<snip>
    if I migrate from the 2TB to the 3TB the data already on the 3TB is not affected?
    <snip>

True only IF the replica volume and the recovery point volume for that data source are both on the 3TB disk.  It depends on how many disks were in the storage pool at the time of protection.    If more than one disk is in the storage pool, then DPM will use 2 disks when protecting a data source.  In that case the migration will need to make a new relica and a new recovery point volume on disk 3 for that data source that will require more space.

This BLOG was update today 1-9-2012 with a better script to show you how much free space is required to migrate a disk.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/06/05/space-needed-to-migrate-a-disk.aspx 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Eerazor Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:11 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Assuming  the following:

Data Source 1 -   100GB Replica on D1,   20GB recover point on D2.
    Data Source 2 -   100GB Replica on D2,   10GB recovery point on D2
    Data Source 3 -   100GB Replica on D2,   30GB recovery point on D1.

You can migrate D1 to D2, however D2 must have enought free space to accomodate all of DS1 and all of DS3 which would be an additional 250GB free space.  This is because we re-make new replica and recovery point volumes for each data source being migrated.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it is possible to user PowerShell to transfer your Recoverypoint from on Volume to another, but there is one important thing, DPM can use a Volume with max 2TB size, recommende ist 1.5 TB

So if i understand you correct, you cant use 3TB Volume.

regards

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

Seidlm - we support physical disks up to 17TB when converted to GPT, and 2TB for MBR disks.  See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399280.aspx

Eerazer - your problem is you cannot sqeeze 4TB of allocated space on a 3TB disk.  The issue is you are over-allocated and we only support shrinking the the recovery point volumes.  You can see how much space you can shrink using this script: ttp://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/03/31/how-much-can-i-shrink-recovery-point-volumes-with-dpm2010.aspx

You can migrate datasources from the 2TB disk to the 3TB disk using the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1

Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282970.aspx

Also view this blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/06/05/space-needed-to-migrate-a-disk.aspx it explains that datasource are usually always split between disks, and that you will need almost half as much free space in the storage pool to migrate completly.  Then you need to wait for the old recovery points to expire before the disk space actually gets freed up.

However, I don't think that will work for you given the overall allocation is 4TB, unless you do it a little bit at a time over time. 

Saturday, January 7, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Firstly thank you for the replies. Migration has to be done anyway I see it, which extends the migration time for at least the time of the last recoverypoint (which is about 45 Days).

The move does not affect the volumes already on the 3TB store? Meaning if I migrate from the 2TB to the 3TB the data already on the 3TB is not affected?

Monday, January 9, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    if I migrate from the 2TB to the 3TB the data already on the 3TB is not affected?
    <snip>

True only IF the replica volume and the recovery point volume for that data source are both on the 3TB disk.  It depends on how many disks were in the storage pool at the time of protection.    If more than one disk is in the storage pool, then DPM will use 2 disks when protecting a data source.  In that case the migration will need to make a new relica and a new recovery point volume on disk 3 for that data source that will require more space.

This BLOG was update today 1-9-2012 with a better script to show you how much free space is required to migrate a disk.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/06/05/space-needed-to-migrate-a-disk.aspx 

Monday, January 9, 2012 10:03 PM
  • So if I understand this correctly (since D1 and D2 have a mix of replica data and recovery data) a third disk is required for a migration? There is absolutely no way to put two disks into one?

If that is the case that more than sux (pardon the lang).

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

Assuming  the following:

Data Source 1 -   100GB Replica on D1,   20GB recover point on D2.
    Data Source 2 -   100GB Replica on D2,   10GB recovery point on D2
    Data Source 3 -   100GB Replica on D2,   30GB recovery point on D1.

You can migrate D1 to D2, however D2 must have enought free space to accomodate all of DS1 and all of DS3 which would be an additional 250GB free space.  This is because we re-make new replica and recovery point volumes for each data source being migrated.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Thank you very much for your assistance - Very much appriciate it.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:12 AM