OS version change on System Properties RRS feed

• Question

• HI everyone,

I need your help regarding an issue that we have discovered on our POSReady installation.

Everytime we will do a new installation using the USB key, the OS version of system properties will change to the one below:

Microsoft Windows XP
    Embedded
    Version 2002
    Service pack 3

instead of:

Microsoft Windows
    Embedded POSReady 2009
    Version 2.0
    Service Pack 3

So we tried isolating what seems to be the cause by not including \i386\Updates folder during the installation. If we do this, the correct version will show in system properties.

I would just like to know which particular update is responsible for making this change? As of the moment, I am installing the microsoft updates manually one by one and I just need a little enlightenment.

I will be thankful if someone can shed light to this, I am out of ideas.
    Thank you.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:20 AM

Answers

• It appears that KB2160329 is the culprit when installing from the i386\Updates folder during the setup process.  This update can be safely removed as it has been superceeded by additional updates that are applying successfully.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:38 PM

All replies

• Have you added any updates to the i386\updates folder beyond what shipped with POSReady 2009?

Terry Warwick, Microsoft

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Hi Terry,

Thank you for your quick response.
    Yes, I believe there are updates being added to the i386\updates folder once there are new hotfixes and updates that can be downloaded from Microsoft.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:22 AM
  • To add some info, we found out that \windows\system32\win32k.sys was replaced with a wrong version. That is why POSReady identifies itself as  “Microsoft Windows XP Embedded Version 2002” instead of “Microsoft Windows Embedded POSReady2009 Version 2.0

THank you.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:34 AM
  • We need a complete list of the KB updates that you are applying to the image.  There appears to be a KB that should not be applied to POSReady in the folder as this does not occur when applying updates through Windows Update.

Ideally, if you have been successfully deploying images with the \i386\Updates folder previously, then all we need is the subset of packages that have changed resulting in win32k.sys being updated in the image.  It would certainly expedite the investigation if you can narrow down which KB updates have been added since last successful deployment.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Thanks Terry, I will look into it and  update you. i'll give you the KB  update list shortly.

Friday, June 17, 2011 12:29 AM
  • It appears that KB2160329 is the culprit when installing from the i386\Updates folder during the setup process.  This update can be safely removed as it has been superceeded by additional updates that are applying successfully.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:38 PM