none
DPM 2010 BMR fails on Hyper-V Single Node CSV (2008 R2) due to insufficient space on storage location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we established the single node CSV in anticipation of adding another node shortly, which we still intend to do.  And although completely unsupported, we ran DPM 2010 on the single node (Hyper-V host).  We recently moved DPM 2010 to a dedicated server (2008 R2 SP1).  The Hyper-V guests (from WS2000 through WS2008R2) are backing up fine on the new server using "Saved State" and "Child Partition Snapshot(s)."  However, now I want to add a System State and BMR backup of the host.  System State works fine.  BMR fails due to insufficient space on the storage location.  A review of the forum posts suggests that most users have solved the same issue by increasing the DPM space allocation to the replica; I understand this backup can be quite large.  I intend to run wbadmin locally on the host server to get a better understanding of the size required and increase the DPM allocation accordingly.  Hopefully this will fix the problem.

However, I'm more concerned that my guest backups and the BMR are creating duplicate backups.  The forum posts on BMR made clear that the BMR backs up everything on C:\ including C:\ClusterStorage (which in our case resides on a MD3000i iSCSI SAN), so it appears that I'll clearly be backing up the guests twice.  I would definitely like to have a BMR of the host (especially since we haven't installed the second node yet), but I'm looking for direction on Best Practices for backing up the combination of the guests and the host.  Currently, I'm backing up the guests daily.  I'm thinking a once/week BMR of the host would be adequate...?  Thanks so much for the help...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:50 PM

Answers

• If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Here is an option for you. You can exclude the cluster folder from being backed up. This way you will not be backing it up twice since you are already protecting it once. You can exclude this folder by doing the following:

Make a registry entry to the FilesNotToBackup list in the registry on the nodes in your cluster. DPM/Volume Shadow Copy Service will honor this list.

The path is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup add a Multi-String (REG_MULTI_SZ) value and place something like: C:\ClusterStorage in the Value Data field. 

The next time the data is protected it should skip the C:\ClusterStorage folder.

Hope this helps.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:39 AM
  • If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread please re-open it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:51 PM