none
Need Help with MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I'm a Newb and I'm trying to learn Windows Server 2016 for my business. I am using VMWARE, and I'm trying to get this MDT to work with the virtual machine to run off the server. It seems to go well but then comes up as "A Connection to the deployment share (\\myserver\DeploymentShare$) could not be made. Can not reach DeployRoot. Possible cause: Network routing error or Network Configuration error. 

I don't know what I am missing doing, but if anyone can help would be grand. I have setup the server to act as a router and added in DHCP if that helps. 

I am thankful for any help I get. 

Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:48 AM

Answers

• Are you trying to build a VM using MDT? It could be down to your boot images not having the VMware Network Adapater drivers imported in as your VM needs these loaded in order for it be connected within the WinPE environment mode
    • Marked as answer by M-ManLA Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:27 PM
    Friday, November 23, 2018 11:50 AM
  • When you build a VM in the console you should get a VMGuest disk to mount to the CD drive, this should contain the network drivers on here as well
    Monday, November 26, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Great. So now you need to extract the files using this command setup.exe /A /P C:\Temp
    Create a folder called temp i.e. on your c drive and then run that command and you should be able to get the drivers that way to import them in
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:43 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to build a VM using MDT? It could be down to your boot images not having the VMware Network Adapater drivers imported in as your VM needs these loaded in order for it be connected within the WinPE environment mode
    Friday, November 23, 2018 11:50 AM
  • AHHHHHH!!!!!! That could make a lot of sense. So I should download the drivers to my image on MDT? 
    Do I download it from VMWare? 
    • Edited by M-ManLA Monday, November 26, 2018 9:18 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2018 9:10 AM
  • You could try to get them from vmware or you can use the vmguest.iso i think that has all of the drivers for the network adapter on there too.

Also you could go into the VM and go to C:\windows\drivers believe they are called somethng like vmadapter etc

Take these and import them into the MDT boot files then that should work

Monday, November 26, 2018 9:51 AM
  • Can't find them but I'll try after work today. 
    Monday, November 26, 2018 6:48 PM
  • When you build a VM in the console you should get a VMGuest disk to mount to the CD drive, this should contain the network drivers on here as well
    Monday, November 26, 2018 6:55 PM
  • I agree you will need to add the VMware drivers to the boot image. Once you have them add them to a folder under the Outofbox driver section, create a selection profile to include those, and in the deployment share properties under the drivers and packages tab then each time you regenerate the boot image those drivers are included.

You need to also make sure the account you are using to connect the deployment share not only has rights to the deploymentshare but also admin rights on the server.

Monday, November 26, 2018 10:50 PM
  • Ok I'm pulling the stuff now from the image. 
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:13 PM
  • Ok this is what I got from the disc image.

This is what I got from the disc image

• Edited by M-ManLA Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 8:28 PM
  • Great. So now you need to extract the files using this command setup.exe /A /P C:\Temp
    Create a folder called temp i.e. on your c drive and then run that command and you should be able to get the drivers that way to import them in
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:43 AM
  • Not working. I am getting 

"Windows 10 Setup

Setup couldn't start properly. Please Reboot your PC and try Running Windows 10 Setup again"

I have rebooted 3 times

I'll try and create another Server to check this! 
    • Edited by M-ManLA Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:59 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Ok. Seems like the new Server worked with extracting the files. Gonna set up everything MDT and stuff and try in the new Virtual Server. 
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:22 PM
  • Great let me know how you get on
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:56 PM
  • I GOT IT!!!! THANK YOU GUYS!!!! Now I gotta figure out how to operate it as a router and making these work with thin clients. This been exciting and frustrating at the same time! 
    Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:25 PM