Turn off Shortcut keys in IE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to know how to turn off shortcur keys in IE running on a Windows 2008 x64 bit OS. I do not want users logging in and click Ctrl+o, Ctrl+n and L.

Can some one suggest any tricks?

thanks

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Chanakya18,

Based on my testing, we are unable to only turn off the hotkeys of Internet Explorer. However, you could restrict specific menu commands, if so, the hotkeys of Internet Explorer do not work anymore. Please try to use the following registry key.

===================================================================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
    "NoFileOpen"=dword:00000001
    "NoFileNew"=dword:00000001
    "NoOpeninNewWnd"=dword:00000001

The restrictions that are available to Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823057

Brent Hu,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by chanakya18 Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:04 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:15 AM

All replies

• Currently there is no option to turn off shortcuts in IE.

You can however configure a GPO and disable options from IE.

Group Policy -> User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Internet Explorer

Here you can get really granular on options that you dont want users to have access to.

MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007/2010 | MCITP: Server Administrator | MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring | MCP | MCDST
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:44 AM
  • Hello Chanakya18,

Based on my testing, we are unable to only turn off the hotkeys of Internet Explorer. However, you could restrict specific menu commands, if so, the hotkeys of Internet Explorer do not work anymore. Please try to use the following registry key.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
    "NoFileOpen"=dword:00000001
    "NoFileNew"=dword:00000001
    "NoOpeninNewWnd"=dword:00000001

The restrictions that are available to Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823057

Brent Hu,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by chanakya18 Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:04 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:15 AM
  • Hi,

Can anyone help me with the registry key to disable Ctrl E and Ctrl J in IE

Thanks,

Beejay

• Edited by B_jay Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:30 PM
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 5:27 PM
  • 8  Years later. Can we do it yet? Seriously hate microsofts website bringing up coming up to decade old results
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:42 PM