none
DPM 2012 backup of SQL Server VMs RRS feed

• Question

• I've been unable to find anything on this and would like to know what the best practice DPM configuration is for using DPM to backup Virtual machines running SQL Server.

My hunch is that it's BMR + SQL Server + volume data in the VM directly rather than using Hyper-V 'Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot', I'm not sure what DPM would do with the SQL Server databases in the latter scenario.

Is there a way to backup just the SQL Server databases using the SQL directly in VM agent and just the rest with the Child Partition Snapshot at the Hyper-V host level?

(In case it matters versions are: SCDPM 2012, SQL Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2)

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can do a combination of Guest level SQL backup, and Host level Hyper-V backup. 

Make sure you have the following Hyper-V fix installed and the integration components updated so SQL logs don't get truncated by the Hyper-V host level backup. 

975354  A Hyper-V update rollup is available for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975354

See Issue 3
    The application backup operation in the virtual machine (VM) is incorrectly affected by the VM backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V.

Note You may still experience issue 3 after you install this hotfix. You can apply the following registry entry in a virtual machine to fix issue 3 for that virtual machine:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1 , application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V. If this registry entry does not exist, or if its value is 0 , issue 3 occurs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Melakh Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:30 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can do a combination of Guest level SQL backup, and Host level Hyper-V backup. 

Make sure you have the following Hyper-V fix installed and the integration components updated so SQL logs don't get truncated by the Hyper-V host level backup. 

975354  A Hyper-V update rollup is available for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975354

See Issue 3
    The application backup operation in the virtual machine (VM) is incorrectly affected by the VM backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V.

Note You may still experience issue 3 after you install this hotfix. You can apply the following registry entry in a virtual machine to fix issue 3 for that virtual machine:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1 , application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V. If this registry entry does not exist, or if its value is 0 , issue 3 occurs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Melakh Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:30 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Thanks Mike, one quick clarification - our Hypervisor is Server 2012 so I think I should be safe to proceed without any hotfixes?
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Hi,

DPM 2012 does not support protecting any workloads on Windows 2012 until after System Center 2012 Sp1 ships later this year.

Please review my announcement "DPM 2012 support for Windows Server 2012"under the "Data Protection Manager - General" forum.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Ah thanks hadn't spotted that, I'll stick to in-VM backups for now then.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Hi Mike, as far as I understand I can use DPM 2012R2 to do the following:

- backup SQL Server Databases every 15 minutes with the guest OS agent

- backup the OS Guest Server every day with the HOST OS Agent

All of this will not break the SQL Log Chain and I have not to do any action on Host/guest to get this solution working.

Is it right?

thank you!

Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:43 AM