Windows 2008 R2 Server Manager Local Users Creating a Group RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running 30-40 Windows 2008 R2 Servers, newly installed with no active directory.  All are on a workgroup.  What is the best way to add a group for users to just remote desktop to the Server.  Basically I wanted to know what the 'Services' make up Remote desktop users.  Right now i was able to import the users via Powershell using the Import-CSV.  I imported 35 users about 5 set as Administrators and the remaining 30 set as Users.  My problem was that I also need to set the 30 users as Remote Desktop Users.  Is there a way to add the "Remote Desktop Users" function/role to the Users so I don't have to add Remote desktop users to everyone in Users? 

What I am basically asking is, if I needed to create a Group under Local Users and Groups what would I need to add to the New Group to have features/permissions of both Users + Remote Desktop Users?

I tried to add: Authenticated Users + Interactive + Remote Interactive Login

But the user with this new Group was not able to log in with Remote desktop/remotely.

Would just having the users added to "Remote Desktop Users" give all the rights of a User with remote access?  If importing with Powershell what would be the group name to give that user and import into Local groups using Import-CSV?

Any feedback greatly Appreciated,

Rob

Rob Jung ADRWeb

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• Either adding the user accounts directly to the remote desktop users group should give the ability to connect. You could also create a new group, then add the users to that group, then add that group into the remote desktop users group. What you name the group is at your own discretion.

Brandon Wilson - Premier Field Engineer (Platforms)
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:23 AM