Xp Professional Service Packs RRS feed

• Question

• I had to restore and clean my computer because it was running very slow and not working properly.

So I reinstalled XP Pro and have no service packs on it and need to get it up to service pack 3.

I tried to install SP1 but it keeps saying that the server will not communicate with my computer and stops loading.

I am trying to find a way to get the service packs on my computer so I can get it updated.  If some one could help me that would be great.   Thanks.

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:47 PM

Answers

• No need to go that way, just install updates as they come from the windows update tool.

SP3 also has SP1 and SP2 integrated

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Bad advise.  You did not read his statement that he has no service packs:

"So I reinstalled XP Pro and have no service packs on it and need to get it up to service pack 3."

Service Pack 3 REQUIRES either SP1a or SP2.  Since he is at SP0, the SP1a Express will not work.

So, his ONLY route is to do SP2 first and then SP3.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 20, 2012 7:01 PM

All replies

• Start with SP2 then SP3.

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

There are links for SP2 and SP3.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, January 20, 2012 4:23 PM
  • No need to go that way, just install updates as they come from the windows update tool.

SP3 also has SP1 and SP2 integrated

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Bad advise.  You did not read his statement that he has no service packs:

"So I reinstalled XP Pro and have no service packs on it and need to get it up to service pack 3."

Service Pack 3 REQUIRES either SP1a or SP2.  Since he is at SP0, the SP1a Express will not work.

So, his ONLY route is to do SP2 first and then SP3.

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Rick,

Your the man.  It worked as you said.

Many Thanks.

Tmull65
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:21 AM