Rebuild of Forefront Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

my current Forefront server stopped reporting 14-day history and since trying to re-install MOM etc, it no longer reports at all, with all sorts of SQL errors in the event logs. Seeing as I most probably underestimated server specs, I am building a new one (VM) from scratch. As I do not want to uninstall agents from over 2500 PC's I was going to assign this new server the same Management group name and same server name / Ip address as the old one.

Will this then allow existing Forefront Clients to then conenct to this new server? Any thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi!

If you are building the new server with the same name and in the same domain with the same managementgroupname as the old server. The clients will just start reporting to that one as soon as it's up and running.

/Johan

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

have you seen this link http://blogs.technet.com/b/fcsnerds/archive/2008/11/12/changing-the-management-group-to-which-an-fcs-client-reports.aspx

Bechir Gharbi. MCSA, MCSE M+S, MCITP Server/Enterprise Administrator, MCT, MCTS Configuration Manager/Forefront (Time Zone : GMT+1)
    • Proposed as answer by Nick Gu - MSFT Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:09 AM
  • HI,

yes I did see this yesterday. No being used to command-lines etc, was trying an easy way out such a building new server, configure it, and then take old one offline and bring new one up with same name and IP as old one.

How easy is it to redeploy agent to over 2500 PC's (specific PC's in AD) using the command line?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:59 AM
  • Hi!

If you are building the new server with the same name and in the same domain with the same managementgroupname as the old server. The clients will just start reporting to that one as soon as it's up and running.

/Johan

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Johan

many thanks. That's what I wanted to hear.

Alan

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:45 PM