none
Disable UAC/ElevatedPermission for DPMBackup.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My requirement is to run DPMbackup.exe on a montly basis. this would create snapshot of the volumes which are written to tape.

The problem is that the standard scheduler in my organization is something called Autosys which has no concept of elevating permissions.

So when I execute DPMbackup.exe -replicas from autosys it gives me an error saying "you need to run dpmbackup.exe with administrative privileges"

Now since Autosys is old and cannot change, I have to selectively disable UAC only for DPMbackup.exe

After some research I found that Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0 can generate a fix which can disable UAC only for dpmbackup.exe

http://cybernetnews.com/helpful-tip-disable-uac-prompt-for-an-application/

So it is OK to do this? or will it void my product support?

MSDNStudent Knows not much!
    Monday, February 6, 2012 8:00 AM

All replies

• You can do this but create a thread under Windows Forum if you still have problems after that.

You can also try to backup the DPMDB directly from SQL if that doesn't require UAC intervention...

This is the syntax

sqlcmd.exe -S <servername>\<instance>  -Q "backup database dpmdb to disk = '<path>\dpmdb.bak'"

example:

sqlcmd.exe -S DPMServer\msdpm2010  -Q "backup database dpmdb to disk = 'C:\temp\dpmdb.bak'"

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:27 AM
  • The example you have given above is for the db database. but what about the replicas? (dpmbackup.exe -replicas).

MSDNStudent Knows not much!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:55 AM