none
DPM 2010 - Backup job keeps failing - error ID 2019 Details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I wonder could you help me!

Most of our backups are running and completing fine but there is just one job that begins to backup then gets to the same point all the time and then crashes out with the error ID 2019 Details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host (0x80072746).

It always backs up just under 1.85 Gig and then bombs out at the same point each time.

The only way that we can get the job to complete to write everything to disk is to exclude that directory that the job fails at from the backup but now it is failing to write the backups to tape.

So I’m wondering is there a way to delete the cached copy or what ever it is in DPM that is stopping the backup from going to tape ?

I’m very new to DPM 2010 but hopefully I have explained this correctly and you understand what I am trying to achieve.  Basically over the last few weeks that server hasn’t synced due to not being able to backup that particular folder.  Now that we have got a completed back, excluding that folder how do we get that successful backup copy dumped out to tape, as it appears that the old failed jobs is stopping this from being able to happen.

Thanks in anticipation,

Bonemister

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:55 AM

Answers

• HI,

It sounds like you may have NTFS corruption issue.  Please run Chkdsk /f X: (where X: is the problematic volume) - then when chkdsk gets finished see if DPM can protect the problematic directory again.  If so, tape backup on the DPM server should also succeed.

If chkdsk does not fix the issue, then look in the DPMRACurr.errlog on the protected server and DPM Server right after the job fails and see if you can find the offending file and try moving that off the volume. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by bonemister Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:35 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure you are running UR7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2751231

The DPMRACurr.errlog on the dpm server in C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\temp should detail problems writing long term tape backups.

FYI PROTECTED SERVER logs are in C:\Program files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\temp - but if disk to disk backups are working fine now, then no need to look there.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:18 PM

All replies

• HI,

It sounds like you may have NTFS corruption issue.  Please run Chkdsk /f X: (where X: is the problematic volume) - then when chkdsk gets finished see if DPM can protect the problematic directory again.  If so, tape backup on the DPM server should also succeed.

If chkdsk does not fix the issue, then look in the DPMRACurr.errlog on the protected server and DPM Server right after the job fails and see if you can find the offending file and try moving that off the volume. 

Friday, August 9, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Forgive my ignorance as I’m quite new to DPM but I believe it does complete the backup to disk and the replica does get created successfully onto the DPM box from the protected server.

Our issue is that it fails to get that replica dumped out to tape so I don’t think this issue is a NTFS corruption.

What I’m thinking or wondering is is there a log file on the DPM server that is generated if the job fails to write the data out to tape?  If I could see that log file I could perhaps see what is causing the failure which would hopefully point me to right direction and allow me to resolve the problem so we can get our data dumped onto tape.

That DPMRACurr.errlog, I can only see it on the DPM server, there doesn’t appear to be a copy of that file on the protected server.  Am I missing something?!

So any further assistance / advice would be appreciated,

Kind regards,

Tony

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure you are running UR7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2751231

The DPMRACurr.errlog on the dpm server in C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\temp should detail problems writing long term tape backups.

FYI PROTECTED SERVER logs are in C:\Program files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\temp - but if disk to disk backups are working fine now, then no need to look there.

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your reply and cheers for clarifying that file location.

It sure is a big file - almost 10 MB with over 88,000 lines and nearly 300,000 words so I'm wondering is there any way you can advise how we can identify the writing to tape failures/errors within that log as I can't see any reference to those type of problems in that very detailed file?

Apart from the log file can you think of anything else that we can try to get our DPM job to have the ability to write the data out to tape?  I just can't understand why the 'An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host' message is appearing as other jobs are being successfully written out to tape, it just seems to be this job that is having the problem.

I can confirm that UR7 is installed on that box.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Tony 

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the log files can be intimidating for sure, but unfortunately I do not have a silver bullet for this error.  I would recommend that you open a support ticket and let one of our DPM engineers look at the logs and find the solution. 

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Fair enough Mike!

Thanks a million for your help.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:20 AM