none
Alternative to Firestreamer? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure Firestreamer is a fine product for what it does, but has anyone found a more affordable solution? We're looking at DPM because it's way less expensive than some other options out there, but if I have to buy a $1300 utility program to do backups to disk, it kind of doubles the software cost in the project budget.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi, you can find the list of supported third parties software here : http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/data-protection-manager/dpm-tape-libraries.aspx
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Thanks, but none of those are particularly analagous to what Firestreamer does, at least as far as I could tell.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Hello,

Other than providing you with the link of  http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/data-protection-manager/dpm-tape-libraries.aspx no one from Microsoft can refer you to using one tape solution over another one.

Thanks,
    Shane

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 1:43 AM
  • Hello,

Other than providing you with the link of  http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/data-protection-manager/dpm-tape-libraries.aspx no one from Microsoft can refer you to using one tape solution over another one.

Thanks,
    Shane

I dont think he was asking for "Microsoft" to recommend a product, I think what he was asking was if "Microsoft" or any other forum user know of any other product that works like Firestreamer. Since "Microsoft" makes DPM they would be the best to answer this question since developers would talk to them if they were creating or created software of this type.

This forum sucks why cant you Microsoft guys give straight answers like in the Exchange Forums?

Brian

(in bad mood today)

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Brian is correct, at least as far as what my question was. :)

Beyond the baffling notion that DPM doesn't offer a D2D archival method internally, it's interesting that Firestream's pricing over the past 5 years has gone from $500 - $800 - $1300, now that they know they're the only game in town. Unfortunately, for our scope, that brings Backup Exec back into the mix; I can buy a few agents and do either tape OR D2D with no problem at all, setting aside the hassle of Exchange restores "only through supported methods" etc.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:32 PM
  • Hello,

DPM does offer D2D: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795549.aspx

As far as referring you to any other product that works like firestreamer, the only suggestion that can be provided is in the link already supplied. 

Thanks
    Shane

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Unless I missed something on that page (not that familiar with 2007, since I wouldn't bother with 3 year old software) DPM 2010 does not offer D2D archival -- i.e. removable disks.

If this is not the case please let me know. I don't care if it has virtual tape functionality; I'd just perfer to use cheap portable disks instead of chasing LTO tape technology/price matrices.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:37 PM
  • Unless I missed something on that page (not that familiar with 2007, since I wouldn't bother with 3 year old software) DPM 2010 does not offer D2D archival -- i.e. removable disks.

If this is not the case please let me know. I don't care if it has virtual tape functionality; I'd just perfer to use cheap portable disks instead of chasing LTO tape technology/price matrices.

I am looking at a way to do long term backups using hard drives and was looking at Firestreamer but I just can’t justify it to myself to pay so much to just do long term backups of my SQL server only and my company spent a ton of money for our DPM setup. I am thinking of having SQL Server to run backup jobs and have a script zip them and send them to my DR site as well as an external hard drive. If it cost $500-$800 I would buy it but $1,300 no way.

Brian

(in a better mood)

Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:13 AM