Should we stick with RC1 or should we just get RC2? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running Windows Vista RC1 (5600), I just recently found out that MS released RC2, without doing a huge CPP like it did with RC1. I checked out the site, but It said: "Please note: This build may not have the same level of support or servicing via Windows Update as RC1, and you may not be able to upgrade from this build to the final version of Windows Vista"

Now, If I'm a beta tester, wouldn't I want to test stuff out on the new release candidate? Yet, they say I won't be able to get support and It might not be able to upgrade to the next or final version of Vista. If it's better than RC1 (bug fixes, improved boot time, driver support, compatibility, etc.) then so be it. If it's worth it, then should we get it and risk not getting support and upgradability?

Sunday, October 8, 2006 2:35 PM

Answers

• It's really depends on you. Please keep in mind, testing beta software is a volunteer work. You can't suppose MS will give a full support to you. For me, keeping format and re-install is normal task when testing beta!
    Sunday, October 8, 2006 4:10 PM

All replies

• You won't be able to upgrade to RTM from RC1 either. If you are not in the Tech Beta, your options for RC2 support is the same as for RC1, in Newsgroups such as this one. If you have Outlook Express or in Vista it is Windows mail, Microsoft also has Vista Newsgroups with a lot of help. msnews.microsoft.com is the news reader setting.

Getting Started

Using an NNTP Newsreader

You can use any newsreader software to access Microsoft newsgroups. We suggest Microsoft Outlook Express, which is installed as part of Microsoft Internet Explorer. Download Internet Explorer now if Outlook Express does not appear in your Start menu under Programs.

Once you have Outlook Express or another Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) newsreader installed on your computer, you’re just one step away from being able to access our newsgroups. The remaining step comes when you click on a link to a newsgroup. At that point, if you haven’t done so previously, you’ll be asked to provide configuration information. When prompted for News Server, specify msnews.microsoft.com.

Outlook Express and/or Other NNTP Newsreader Configuration

1.In the Display Name box, type the name you want other people to see when you post a message.<

• I

2.In the E-mail Address box, add the no-spam alias you registered. If you post with any other e-mail address, we cannot guarantee a response from the community or a Microsoft Support Engineer the next business day.

3. In the News (NNTP) Server box, type the name msnews.microsoft.com

That’s it. Whenever you visit a Microsoft newsgroup again, you won’t have to configure anything. Just click the link to the newsgroup and Outlook Express opens the newsgroup.

Not familiar with the Outlook Express newsreader? If you have any questions about how to read or respond to a newsgroup posting, refer to the help files in Outlook Express (or the NNTP newsreader you use). In Outlook Express you’ll find Help in the top menu bar.

Want to take newsgroups offline? Many people choose NNTP newsreaders because you can use them to download newsgroup content and work with it while you aren’t connected to the Internet. To find out how to do this using Outlook Express, see Subscriptions in the Help location noted above.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 3:07 PM
  • It's really depends on you. Please keep in mind, testing beta software is a volunteer work. You can't suppose MS will give a full support to you. For me, keeping format and re-install is normal task when testing beta!
    Sunday, October 8, 2006 4:10 PM