Can Virus be removed without wiping disk? RRS feed

• Question

• A virus or malware infection redirects all my search results options to random sites, (not the ones I clicked on), search is now useless -  and it has slowed my computer drastically.

Several anti-spyway/malware/adware/virus programs have failed to find virus.

Ran Microsoft Malicious malware thingie - results - system clean

Recommendations have been to wipe disk completely and do a re-install of OS.

Is this the only option, or the best option? Really don't want to lose all my programs if there is another choice.

How do I do it?

Thanks GA

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 11:26 PM

All replies

• If this happened recently and you have system restore enabled, restore the system to a previous date/time. This will ‘remove’ any installed malware program.

If it’s an activex hijack and you’re running Internet Explorer, go to Internet Explorer > Tools (press Alt if the Menu bar is not showing) > Manage add-ons > scroll down the list and then highlight anything that looks suspicious or not easily recognised (e.g. Windows Messenger is recognisable) and disable it. If you disable a bone fide entry, it can be re-enabled.

Download, install and run the free Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:47 AM