none
You 'will' have Times New Roman

Question

• I have seen this complained about a lot but am still often faced with the problem.

E.G. I have two Word documents open, one containing content including text (all in Calibri), the second containing a header, footer and watermark. Both documents have had 'Cntrl-A' selected and set to Calibri. Yet when pasting from one to the other, suddenly Times New Roman is forced or otherwise set on to part of the content, when it was in neither the source or destination content.

None of the pasting options allow me to keep all of the items being pasted, retain the Calibri font and retain the footer, header and watermark.

There clearly should not be any situation where a font in neither the source or destination is arbitrarily assumed. Assumptions = unhappy people.

When is Microsoft going to do something about this?

Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:58 AM

All replies

• That's what typically happens when the Style definitions have been overridden with direct formatting, especially if your paste options aren't set to 'keep source formatting'. Ultimately, it reflects content creation by someone who hasn't taken the time to: (a) use Styles properly; and (b) set the appropriate paste options. Microsoft has provided the tools; it's up to you to learn to use them.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, November 08, 2017 3:58 AM
  • First, I agree that Paul Edstein's response should be marked as the answer. To rephrase: had the changes been made in the Styles for the text rather than by applying direct formatting this would not have happened. I would assume that the source document had the change made in the Styles and the recipient document was directly formatted. These are likely older documents or based on old templates. TNR has not been the default font in Word for many years. (There are many who complain about the switch to Calibri.)

Second, here are some resources.

If you are regularly using Word without an understanding of Styles, I understand your confusion and frustration. Styles are central to how Word works and they are not intuitive.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:05 PM
  • I understand there are tools that can avoid this if configured right but the situation seems to occur by default on otherwise clean installs. To someone without the knowledge to set things up I can't see a reason why a font in neither the source or destination document should appear. Surely one would expect if 'keep source formatting' is selected, that the result should be visually the same.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Surely one would expect if 'keep source formatting' is selected, that the result should be visually the same.
    Not when one has messed around overriding Style definitions with all manner of other formatting. There is a limit to what Word can do in such cases.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:18 PM
  • I understand there are tools that can avoid this if configured right but the situation seems to occur by default on otherwise clean installs. To someone without the knowledge to set things up I can't see a reason why a font in neither the source or destination document should appear. Surely one would expect if 'keep source formatting' is selected, that the result should be visually the same.

Imagine that you bought a new car and your brother-in-law customized it to do what he thought it should do. He essentially changed the engine. Then you took it to a shop that used the vehicle's maintenance manual to tune it up and actually had a computer do the work rather than a mechanic. That is what is happening. When you do direct formatting, you are tuning up the way things look. When you use the paste function Word expects things that to be there which you have changed and it is not smart enough to figure out what you've changed. It does the best it can.

Word is a good computer program. It does not read minds. Sometimes it tries and that is when it really can mess things up. That is what is happening here.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:21 AM
  • Hi Jon,

Just checked in to see if the above replies provided by Paul and Charles are helpful. If yes, could you please help mark the useful post as answer to close the thread so thart others who might have a similar issue can more easily find it? If you have further concerns on this, please feel free to post back.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:30 AM