SFC - Safe Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.

Got a PC with rather old Win XP SP3 installation. Out of blue, it keeps restarting on the system loading screen and now I can only get to Safe mode. I tried a bunch of things in order to make Win work normally again, but so far no luck. Here is a list of what did NOT work:<o:p></o:p>

Scan for viruses/Trojans with Kaspersky Rescue CD (none found)

Chkdsk /f in Win installation disk Repair console

Fixboot in Win installation disk Repair console

Restore point (tried several of them)

Disabling all Startups via msconfig

My last hope was SFC command, but when I try to run it in Safe mode it keeps saying, that RPC server is not available (0x000006ba). Quick look at Services shows, that there are 2 RPC services. Remote Procedure Call and its Locator. While RPC itself is running (net start rpcss confirms it), Locator do not want to start no matter what (error 1084: Service cant run in Safe mode). Setting it to Manual or Automatic, using a different profile, setting an action in case of failure…literally nothing works.

Tried to edit several registry keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, like setting SFCDisable to 0 or adding SFCScan. Also tried solution with missing certificate "Issued To: No Liability Accepted, (c)97 VeriSign, Inc.", but it IS presented, so no help either. Since SFC is not supported command in XP installation cd Repair console, I am really out of ideas now.

Win has few very special software installed, so clean reinstall is out of question and I keep Repair option as last thing to do, since it managed to brake similar specialized programs on several occasions.

Any help/advice on how to make SFC run will be much appreciated.

• Edited by J.N.ONK Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:14 AM

All replies