Migration from Live Communications Server 2003 to Communications Server "14" (2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Just wondering if someone knows if this is a possibility? We're currently running Live Communications Server 2003, but want to migrate it to Communications Server 14 (Communications Server 2010 or whatever they decide to call it). Is it possible to for example do a side-by-side migration and have both solutions co-exist for some time while the new one just run as a pilot with designated users?

Thanks for any input!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:06 PM

All replies

• This is not going to be possible.  You will need to be at OCS 2007 or OCS 2007 R2 to coexist with CS 14.  In fact, LCS 2003 can't even coexist with OCS 2007.  You had to at least be at LCS 2005 SP1. 
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by TWHarrington Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hi Tim

Yeah, that's what I expected. Do you know any thing about what kind of attributes the LCS 2003 has in AD. I'm just thinking about what would be the best way to phase out our current sollution. Just wondering what happens if I just turn it off and install CS 2010, if the CS 2010 will work at all, or if some AD attributes will cause any problems for me?

Thanks

Tor

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:06 PM
  • I would never just turn off a server that has ties into the AD schema.  You need to properly uninstall the server when you are ready.  CS 2010 and LCS 2003 should not interfere with each other.  They will simply see each other as separate systems.  Again, CS 2010 is beta right now so it is all "here say".
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:12 PM
  • We are also in the same place - LCS 2003 and want to go to Lync.  We waited until it was out of beta, but still have concerns about migration.  We are thinking of installing Lync side-by-side with 2003 and then removing users from the 2003 pool and adding them to the Lync pool.  We expect to lose all of the user/group/config data from LCS, but that's okay.  I just want to be sure that installing Lync won't trash our LCS AD info so that users cannot be removed from the LCS pools or added to Lync.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Gary Kuyat

Immune Tolerance Network

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:48 PM