none
VMConnect without having the HyperV Administrator Role RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

We have a few VMs that the business needs console access to because of a legacy application. We use VMM in HQ so that's not a problem and we can delegate only console access. However, we have a few remote sites which are not in the VMM. I know that console access is possible with VMConnect, but then I would have to add them to the HyperV Administrator group which gives them access to all VMs on the host. 

However, I think I read somewhere that in HyperV2019, it would be possible to get console access if they are admin on the VM, without being part of the HyperV admin group. But I can't remember where I read about this.

Has anyone heard about this or was I just dreaming?

Friday, February 8, 2019 8:47 AM

All replies

• "We have a few VMs that the business needs console access to because of a legacy application."

I don't understand why an application would need console access. Console access implies that the user needs to make virtual hardware configuration changes.  The application should not require something like that.

If instead you mean that the user requires admin privileges to run the application, that can easily be accomplished by using RDP to access the VM. The use Just Enough Admin to temporarily grant the user the requisite privileges to run the application.

tim

Friday, February 8, 2019 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 11, 2019 6:53 AM
  • It's not the application that needs console access, it's the user of the VM. Sometimes after Windows patches they need to fix/start the application again which require console access, I guess it's because it's running in the console session. They don’t need to change any hardware settings, just access to the console.

So basically, my question is if it's possible to grant console access to a VM running on HyperV without granting them access to all VMs on the host (adding them to the HyperV Administrator Group).

It's possible with the VMM, but I'm looking for a way to do it without the VMM. It appears to have been possible with AzMan, but that was deprecated back in 2012.

Monday, February 11, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Explain what you mean by 'console access'.  Do you mean that after a random Windows patch, they need to get into the machine during the VM's boot process?  Can you provide what information needs to be changed in order for the application to run?

tim

Monday, February 11, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 8:38 AM