Safely removing hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I'm having a problem when I try to remove a USB flash memory or hard disk. I get the message "safe to remove hardware" but the light on the flash doesn't go out !! Same with the external HD. I get the message and everything appears to be fine but the light doesnt go out nor does the HD switch off (usually I hear a 'click' sound)

Any clues ? On XP this never happens but on Vista it always happens.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Mourad,

Thank you for the feedback!

Based on my experience, when “safely remove hardware” there are a few motherboard that may not cut the electricity as expect and Windows XP. We have to wait for the updated drivers to fix this issue if there will be.

However, to confirm that your case belongs to this scenario and the symptom won’t affect your system, I perform a search in Lenovo/IBM website and found the following page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67258

According to the description, you could ignore this symptom.

Hope it helps, Mourad. If I misunderstood your concern or you have more questions on this topic, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Based on my experience, this issue are very possibly caused by poor power management. To workaround this problem, please try the following steps:

1.    Visit the manufacturer’s website, update the drivers of your computer designed for Windows Vista, especially motherboard/chipset and BIOS.

2.    Refer to the following KB article and install the update included:

(KB941600) Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;941600

Hope it helps! If the problem persists, please let me know the model of your computer, especially motherboard. Thanks!

Nice weekend!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:18 AM
  • Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I did step #1. And it did indeed update the BIOS but the problem is still there.

As for step #2, after running the update I got a message "this update doesn't apply to your system"

I have a laptop. It's a Lenovo T61.

Is there any more information you need ? The problem happens with my USB flash memory and my external HD.

I appreciate your help.

--Mourad

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:08 PM
  • Hello Mourad,

Based on my experience, when “safely remove hardware” there are a few motherboard that may not cut the electricity as expect and Windows XP. We have to wait for the updated drivers to fix this issue if there will be.

However, to confirm that your case belongs to this scenario and the symptom won’t affect your system, I perform a search in Lenovo/IBM website and found the following page:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67258

According to the description, you could ignore this symptom.

Hope it helps, Mourad. If I misunderstood your concern or you have more questions on this topic, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:44 AM
  • Hello Lionel,

Thanks for your reply. I did an exrensive search on the Lenovo website but couldn't find anything about this, so thanks for finding it. I did, however find out that this issue occurs on many other brands as well and a lot of users come across it. Here''s a link to my search http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=power+off+USB+Vista&meta=

My only main concern is not my flash memory, but my external hard disk. On XP, when I safely removed it, I'd hear the '"click" sound which indicates the hard disk head has parked. On Vista, I don't.

Anyways, I guess I could live with this for now. Hoping no damage will occur to my external devices.

Thanks for your help.

--Mourad

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:52 AM
  • Hello Mourad,

I agree that some motherboards don’t well support  “Safely remove hardware” option in Windows Vista, as this function differs, compared with Windows XP. Especially, ACPI has been widely used in Windows Vista systems, which indeed enlarge the difference of power management.

Please understand that only the manufacturers of motherboard have the right and ability to release updates to fix the driver related issues. However, as Lenovo claims that the issue can be ignored, please don’t worry about your external hard disk.

I hope the issue can be fixed with one of future driver updates! Thank you for accepting my reply. Have a nice day!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:17 AM