Rich copy: Where does settings gets saved? RRS feed

• Question

• I like using Rich copy to copy large amount of files. in rich copy there is advance setting option to specify permission and error handling etc. If i do settings it gets saved for next time wen i use software. I wanted to know where does these settings gets saved(in which folder)?!!!
    Friday, August 10, 2012 9:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, we may hard to tell where the default settings get saved except for the developer himself.

However, based on my test, if we change the option, it will ask us to save the changes as a .rcx file.

When we run RichCopy the next time, we can open the .rcx file you saved directly.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 17, 2012 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, we may hard to tell where the default settings get saved except for the developer himself.

However, based on my test, if we change the option, it will ask us to save the changes as a .rcx file.

When we run RichCopy the next time, we can open the .rcx file you saved directly.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Jeremy_Wu Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, August 17, 2012 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Actually, I found it far easier to open REGEDIT.EXE, and then browse to and export the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Rich Tools\RichCopy" key to a file on my backups drive.

If ever I re-install my OS, then all all I need to do after installing my standard utilities library (which includes RichCopy), is to import the necessary .REG file, which in the case of RichCopy, I normally name "RichCopy (DATE OF BACKUP).reg"

The above works far better, and has the advantage of making backups of ALL RichCopy settings and profiles, including settings that RichCopy itself does not save to or restore from .RCX files!

Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:13 AM