none
Disk Defragmenter Error RRS feed

• Question

• This might be an easy fix but i'm really not too great with computers and i've tried searching online and can't find anything.  When i go to the disk defragmenter and click on analyze or defrag i get this error message

Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (CSmile.

please run Chkdsk /f.

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to fix it so i can use the defragmenter.  Thanks Smile

Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:23 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

I don't see an edit my post so i am letting you know the issue on this post.  where it says (C (then has a smiley)  it is supposed to be ( C : )  with no spaces b/c i was not trying to make a smiley there.
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 10:27 PM
  •  

Hi luderlm, have you installed Windows SteadyState? After checking the issue, it seems this is a general OS related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to the following forum:

Windows Vista:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=204&SiteID=17

Windows XP:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=561&SiteID=17

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Monday, November 10, 2008 6:39 AM
  • luderlm,

I have the same problem with trying to defrag and have not figured out how to fix it.

Have you had any success in fixing it?

Thanx,

Steve

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:35 AM
  • unfortunately no, i still haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. I've been searching everywhere.  If you find something i would appreciate any info you get.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:08 PM
  • For luderlm:  If you ever did find out an answer I'd like to know too as I have the same thing happening to my system. I'm running XP and have not had this occur before and cannot find any information on it.  I thought ckdsk/F was a DOS command?  Please do reply to harlequinangel@hotmail.com if anyone has the answer for me.  Thank you
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 5:14 AM
  • Sounds like your drive is starting to fail. It may have bad sectors on it which is causing windows to run a Chkdsk command. Depends on how old the drive is, and how much it is being beat on. If it is really old, it is very possible you have corrupt file sectors. My advice, back up your stuff and get a new drive. If you can't back up because you can't load windows at all, and you have important data to recover, I suggest buying a copy of SpinRite from www.grc.com. It will recover your hard drive, unless it is so severely damaged physically that it will be impossible to recover any data. It is what most tech companies use when you bring in your pc to get fixed.

Philip
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 2:18 PM