Icons disappearing from user's desktop RRS feed

• Question

• One of our end user's has about two dozen icons on his workstation's desktop.  Some of these will disappear after a few days.  It is not a problem to re-create them but of course the user would like an explanation.  And I have none.  His PC has Windows 7 Profressional on a 64-bit platform and the problem is intermittent, although it seems to be limited to shortcuts to files and programs running from network drives. 

His computer does not have the InfraRecorder application, which has been reported to cause all desktop icons to disappear (by resetting the Show Desktop Icons setting on the Desktop itself).  And it is only some of the icons and not all of them.  If you have seen this before I am very interested in any solution or workaround you can suggest. 

Marty

Martin J. Franek
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:13 PM

Answers

• The shortcuts are disappearing without any user response or input, according to the user who is reporting the issue.  In another forum, I was told that the schedule task for 'Windows Maintenance' may be considering it to be a broken link and deleting it as part of its "cleanup". 
    Martin J. Franek
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:11 PM
  • This is an irritating problem with no easy solution. Windows 7 performs weekly maintenance and will remove all Desktop shortcuts that it considers to be broken if there are more than four -- this includes shortcuts to network resources, removable storage, and web sites. This isn't a bug, and it isn't related to InfraRecorder (a different problem where everything on your Desktop becomes hidden).

As a solution, Microsoft suggests keeping broken shortcuts at four or less. As an alternative you can disable the weekly system maintenance. I don't like either of these workarounds and I wouldn't recommend the latter (even though I've done it myself). Microsoft's Support Page for this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

I've been looking for a real solution for over a year. Below is a link to the most complete solution I could find that will disable the removal of so-called "broken shortcuts" without turning off system maintenance:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/30/fix-windows-7-desktop-shortcuts-disappearing/

Note that this solution is a hack and it will not be easy for a novice to complete all the steps.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by MartyFranek Friday, September 30, 2011 1:34 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 11:30 PM

All replies

• Just a suggestion, if the shortcuts point to network locatins, does the user try the shortcut and get the message saying it no longer exists, remove shortcut yes/no?
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi,

May I know if the computer is in domain? Is the user profile roaming profile? Does it need to sync when login?

The desktop icon should be under %USERPROFILE%\Desktop folder. However, if the profile data need to sync with server, it can be a sync issue. It is recommended contacting server forum to search the sync issue.

Win Server Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

If it is a local account, I suggest creating a new user account, perform clean boot to check the result.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 10:15 AM
  • The end user is in another part of the building and so I cannot see exactly what happens but he claims that that shortcut just disappears w/o warning or any indication of a chronic issue.

Martin J. Franek
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Niki, yes the computer is a domain computer.   We do not use roaming profiles in our environment.  We also do not sync or replicate user files or resources.  I will post again in the Windows Server forum.  Thanks.

Marty

Martin J. Franek
    Monday, July 11, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked %USERPROFILE%\Desktop folder? What is the result for new user account? Since the user profile is on local computer, I suggest disabling the security software, changing Desktop Icons.

Right click desktop -> Personalization -> Change desktop icons -> select the User's Files -> click Apply or OK button.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Niki, someone suggested I post in the Windows Server forum and so I did, and I got an answer that in theory makes sense and so I am trying it out.  If you are interested in knowing what that proposed solution is and the outcome, I will keep you posted.

Marty

Martin J. Franek
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:09 PM
  • The shortcuts are disappearing without any user response or input, according to the user who is reporting the issue.  In another forum, I was told that the schedule task for 'Windows Maintenance' may be considering it to be a broken link and deleting it as part of its "cleanup". 
    Martin J. Franek
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:11 PM
  • This is an irritating problem with no easy solution. Windows 7 performs weekly maintenance and will remove all Desktop shortcuts that it considers to be broken if there are more than four -- this includes shortcuts to network resources, removable storage, and web sites. This isn't a bug, and it isn't related to InfraRecorder (a different problem where everything on your Desktop becomes hidden).

As a solution, Microsoft suggests keeping broken shortcuts at four or less. As an alternative you can disable the weekly system maintenance. I don't like either of these workarounds and I wouldn't recommend the latter (even though I've done it myself). Microsoft's Support Page for this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

I've been looking for a real solution for over a year. Below is a link to the most complete solution I could find that will disable the removal of so-called "broken shortcuts" without turning off system maintenance:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/30/fix-windows-7-desktop-shortcuts-disappearing/

Note that this solution is a hack and it will not be easy for a novice to complete all the steps.

Good luck.

• Marked as answer by MartyFranek Friday, September 30, 2011 1:34 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 11:30 PM
  • And where does "System maintenance" move the removed shortcuts ?
    - ThePro
    Monday, August 29, 2011 7:18 PM
  • I found mine in the Recycling Bin. A VERY annoying problem. I tried each solution listed here and I am praying it worked....meanwhile, I have created a folder on the desktop and keep a copy of my shortcuts in there. It is a workaround, but I prefer to have my shortcuts stay on my desktop!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Hi Marty,

I had 1 User with this issue and thought that her permissions were messed up. What I have done after reading these posts is:

•  I created a folder at the root of C: called (Username or Initials)
    •  I put all of the User’s Desktop shortcuts into it
    •  I right-clicked on the Task Bar and selected Toolbars\New Toolbar...
    • I pointed to the folder created in step 1 (as the new toolbar)

So far so good. The Desktop is far less cluttered and the shortcuts are readily available, and more imporatantly still there ;-)!

I will follow up periodically over the next month.

Regards,

Digital DougW

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  One curious observation.  Shortcuts that show the target as \\Server\folder do not dissapear, but ones where the target is s:\folder vanish mysteriously.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 7:53 PM