XP wont boot after D:\ deletion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi peoples, I've got an XP Machine that ran out of disk space on :\ drive so I deleted D:\ so I could extend C:\ but now the PC cant find the bootable partition. I get the error message please insert bootable disk and press enter.

I have looked in the disk and all the files are there but it wont boot. I noticed that ntldr and NTDETECT.COM was missing from the root of C:\ so I replaced these but I am still unable to get the PC to boot, any ideas how I can solve this? I cannot get the F8 menu to appear after boot up. I think its got something to do with the OS has been installed on the 2nd partition of the disk, Ive deleted the first one and something has gone missing....and possibly something to do with Basic/Logical/extended disks I think.

Kind Regards

Darren

• Edited by Darren007 Monday, September 2, 2013 5:12 PM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Answers

• Solved: D was the primary partition and C was the logical, XP wont boot from a logical (extended) disk, I used Acronis to convert it from a Logical to a Primary which didn't delete the data. Restarted the machine and its running great.

on another note, I just tried to reply with IE10 and your reply wasnt there, so I typed it all out and got an unexpected error. switch to opera and everything works. Why am I experiencing problems with my favourite browser? Sort it out MS!

• Marked as answer by Darren007 Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:43 PM

All replies

• If there is anything left of your XP installation you can boot from the install CD and do a repair install.  But it is impossible to guess exactly what is wrong without access to your system see exactly what you have and what you don't have.  If XP was installed on the D: partition and you deleted, then you have nothing and you will have to reinstall Windows XP which means anything and everything on your hard drive has or will be wiped out.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, September 2, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Solved: D was the primary partition and C was the logical, XP wont boot from a logical (extended) disk, I used Acronis to convert it from a Logical to a Primary which didn't delete the data. Restarted the machine and its running great.

on another note, I just tried to reply with IE10 and your reply wasnt there, so I typed it all out and got an unexpected error. switch to opera and everything works. Why am I experiencing problems with my favourite browser? Sort it out MS!

• Marked as answer by Darren007 Tuesday, September 3, 2013 3:36 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:43 PM