none
Reverse DNS Forwarding? RRS feed

• Question

• All, 

I have a situation currently where I have two separate forests (lets say domain1 and domain2) which are both in the same /24 network. Domain1 is trusted by domain2, but not the other way around. Domain2 has a conditional forwarder to domain1, so forward queries work just fine. Now the tricky part, is domain2 needs to also be able to perform Reverse Queries against records that are in domain1. Normally I would just do a secondary reverse zone, but they both share the same /24 which would mean that domain2 then couldn't host it's own primary reverse zone. 

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "reverse forwarder", so if the record doesn't exist forward the request on to X.X.X.X. I've thought about doing delegation, but a partial zone delegation would make me subnet out the /24 which I don't want to do. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Normally I would just do a secondary reverse zone, but they both share the same /24 which would mean that domain2 then couldn't host it's own primary reverse zone. 

If you want to do it anywat,it seems you need a subnetted reverse lookup zone,please check this link:

How to configure a subnetted reverse lookup zone on Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/174419

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:38 AM

All replies

• Apologies if this is a stupid suggestion.......do you really need to do reverse lookups for every machine in domain 1? Normally it's a certain applications which rely on reverse lookup zones so perhaps you could create static DNS entries just for those machines?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Yes, machines in domain 2 need to be able to do reverse lookups to every machine in domain 1.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

>>Normally I would just do a secondary reverse zone, but they both share the same /24 which would mean that domain2 then couldn't host it's own primary reverse zone. 

If you want to do it anywat,it seems you need a subnetted reverse lookup zone,please check this link:

How to configure a subnetted reverse lookup zone on Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/174419

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:38 AM
  • The whole /24 is distributed via a router DHCP, of which I have no control. Is there a way to "subnet" the whole range and essentially merge the two zones?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 12:41 PM