EVM technique using cost & material resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

In my MS project 2016 EVM data (PV,EV,AC,SV,CV etc.)is visible only when work resources are assigned.Cost of material & cost resources are not getting counted in my EVM calculation.Is it default or should i have to change any setting????I need to finalise my plan only by assigning cost & material resources. Please help and thanks in advance..

Friday, October 23, 2020 10:21 AM

All replies

• You must assign all of the resources before you set the baseline, and you must set the baseline before you update progress, and you must set the status date before you update progress.
    Friday, October 23, 2020 12:16 PM
  • Hello Mr. Trevor,

Please find the below screen shot.I have updated the schedule as per your guidance.Still it is not working.Even actual cost not getting calculated for cost & material resources.

Thanks in advance,

Rajeev

rajeevnair

Friday, December 4, 2020 11:25 AM
  • Reeve In --

You are probably not going to like this response.  If memory serves me correctly, the cost data from Material resources and Expense Cost resources is NOT factored into Microsoft Project EVA calculations.  The software only factors Cost and Fixed Cost amounts into its EVA calculations.  This is why organizations that rely heavily on EVA choose a third party application to calculate EVA from Microsoft Project data.

Also, before you even ask, there is no way to force Microsoft Project to consider cost data from Material resources and Expense Cost resources is in Microsoft Project EVA calculations

Sorry, but hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, December 4, 2020 9:26 PM
  • Hi Dale,

That was  a new info to me. Thx alot Dale. So i presume that the same reason is responsible for showing ACWP column as zero for both cost & material resources.

• Edited by Rajeev_Nair Saturday, December 5, 2020 7:02 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2020 4:49 AM
  • Rajeev_Nair,

If I may jump in with an observation. The screen shots you show don't quite make sense. For the labor task (Task 1) you show a BCWP of $3200 and a BCWS of $3200. The earned value equation for Schedule Variance (SV) is BCWP minus BCWS which makes SV equal zero, but your screen shot shows minus $4800.

And, the ACWP for both Tasks 2 & 3 show zero when they both should have a non-zero value, depending on how you statused the plan. This is what I get when I simulate your plan. I first set up the tasks, then I assigned resources, then I set a baseline and set a status date (arbitrarily set for 12/9/20), and finally I updated the plan via Update Project (as complete through the status date).

John

Saturday, December 5, 2020 3:58 PM
  • Hi John,

Please recheck my screen shot once again.In that for task 1,BCWS is 8000,not 3200 as you stated. Thats why SV is showing as -4800. 

Regarding the steps of scheduling,I also did the same processes.Still the result is showing the same.

My main issue is that ACWP for both cost & material resources are showing as zero .What may be the reason?

regards,

Rajeev

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:54 AM
  • Rajeev_Nair,

Excuse me, I did mis-read the data in your screen shot. I mistakenly took the ACWP as BCWS (small print, old eyes). My bad.

If you did go through the process we described, I don't have a ready answer for why you don't see values for ACWP for the cost and material resources. I am using Project 2019. It's possible a change was made from Project 2016 for how material and cost resources are treated.

One field I don't see in your screen shot is the Actual Cost field. Is it also zero for the cost and material resources? If so, then I have to question your process.

John

Thursday, December 10, 2020 5:30 PM