Network location and DA problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am investigating a problem related to our Direct Access. Problem's seems to occur if user is connected to office

remotely trough DA, then puts the PC to hibernate on sleep mode and returns to office and connects to physical LAN.

Once back to LAN I can ping public addresses like www.google.com with host name or IP. BUT I cannot ping internal LAN

addresses using host name. Ping by IP address work to LAN addresses also. Nslookup works and I can access our name

server and get names are resolved correctly.

According to my testing this has something to do with NLA (Network Location Awareness). Atleast restarting NLA corrects

this problem. So i think that NLA does not update network information correctly if user is changing network location

during hibernate. Any ideas how to correct this or get a workaround for "normal" users? Thanks!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:09 AM

All replies

• I had a same problem with DA. When computer returns to office I cannot access Internal LAN resources at all.

I was able to fix this problem using method 3 from this kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980873

This is happened a few times now and after resetting those registry values everything is OK.

Are you using 802.1x in your LAN?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Thanks. I'll test this. We're using 802.1x on Office WLAN. Normal LAN does not require certificate. I think...
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi, I have implemented and tested this for 3 times now and all "returns" to LAN have been smooth and without problems so I think this might be the answer=)
    Friday, March 30, 2012 4:46 AM
  • Please try the following Netsh command while you are back to your Corp Network (LAN/WLAN)

Netsh dnsclient show state

check the status of the machine location (inside or outside)

http://itcalls.blogspot.com/2012/03/windows-7-direct-access-client.html

Saturday, March 31, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

I tried this KB acticle fix and it seems to work. What I am wondering still is few DWORD values under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Nla\Cache\Intranet\

I had, in my computer, the "success" and "failure" keys but also these:

"{B3743AAA-5715-40FD-95B5-1F87DEBE8A39}"=hex:00,00,0c,07,ac,01
    "{2F9FE5BB-ABD2-41ED-BA8F-52636E275CA3}"=hex:00,09,0f,09,0a,08

Which I deleted few weeks ago.

Now I just noticed that these two keys have reappeared to the registry. Any idea what these are for?

Thanks!

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:35 AM