none
DPM 2010 unresponsive without warning RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a serious problem with a new DPM 2010 machine we've just taken in production. About once or twice a day the server is completely unresponsive, not reacting to RDP, not backing up etc. I experienced the problem once when I was logged on. At the moment I was expanding one of the recovery point volumes. Network activity completely stalled, all open windows became unresponsive, error messages appeared about Explorer process unresponsive etc. I was unable to start any new processes/MMC's.

After hard resetting the server all seems to be running fine again. The jobs that were running at the time of the crash were still running but idle, after manually canceling them and restarting them from the Alerts tab they continue.

Specs:

Hardware: Dell R610, 2x Xeon, 24GB RAM, iSCSI storage (Dell MD3200), currently 28TB allocated, only 11 TB in use

Software: Windows 2008 R2, SQL 2008 (10.0.400)

Currently protecting a few Windows 2003 servers and 45 Exchange 2010 Databases on a 5 node cluster.

Event viewer shows no events from the moment it crashed until I reboot the server. Below is the only error that DPM shows that could point to a problem, I just don't know what to do about it:

Affected area:    xx
    Occurred since:    2/24/2011 12:01:24 AM
    Description:    Recovery point creation jobs for Exchange Mailbox Database xx on xx have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.
     If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)
        The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation. (ID 30111 Details: VssError:A writer did not respond to a GatherWriterStatus call.  The writer may either have terminated
    or it may be stuck.  Check the System and Application event logs for more information.
     (0x80042319))
    Date inactivated:    2/24/2011 8:22:27 AM
    Recommended action:    No action is required because this alert is inactive.

Regards,

Jelle

• Edited by Jelle at CS Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:42 AM Added DPM error
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:35 AM

Answers

• For DPM Servers running "Windows Server 2008" and experiencing server hangs while protecting Windows storage servers with SIS enabled voumes, you need to apply this fix on the DPM Server:

979040 Windows Server 2008 is unresponsive because of a deadlock in Sis.sys
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979040

For DPM Servers running "Windows Server 2008 R2" and experiencing server hangs while protecting Windows storage servers with SIS enabled voumes, you need to apply this fix on the DPM Server:

KB2608658 Update rollup for the SIS component in Windows Storage Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608658

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:18 PM

All replies

• I am sorry to see no replies or solutions to this thread. I have the same problem and searched far and wide but found only siimilar problems with no solutions.

I was having no problems running 64bit server 2008 sp2 with DPM 2007 using builtin SQL. I upgraded the operating system to server 2008 R2 SP1 successfully and then I started to upgrade to DPM 2010. The box became completely unresponsive every time I tred to install DPM; so I wiped it all and started a fresh installation. I installed 2008 R2 SP1 successfully, but again the box became completely unresponsve every time I tried to install DPM 2010.

Finally I got a tip that I should give the local machine SQL services account the proper logon credentials manually (since the DPM installation creates the account, you'd think that would be automatic). After I did that, DPM 2010 installed successfully. I was able to add a backup volume and to install a new agent on a SQL server. As I was adding a protection group the box again became completely unresponsive. I performed a reset and was able to get a little further, including getting that SQL server protected one time. Since then, the box freezes at some point during any additional configuration, and also just freezes after it's been booted up for a while without even having been logged on.

The only way back from the frozen OS is a hard reboot. While it is frozen, sometimes it can be pinged and nothing else, sometimes you can also logon locally or get in by RDP but you can't do anything. Other times it can't even be pinged or logged on or off. I suppose that depends on how deep into the freeze it is.

I have nothing other than DPM 2010 on the Server 2008 R2 SP1 OS, using the same HDD (SATA) volumes that worked with DPM 2007, no tape. Has anybody been able to understand or fix this issue? Thanks..?

I should've added that this is not a VM and I have turned the firewall off.
    • Edited by lsight Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:27 AM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:55 AM
  • +1  Similar issue.. although I have never had DPM 2007 .

Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (physical server) (all patches)

DPM 2010 (latest rollup)

It seems to be related to SQL backup agent as I didnt have any issues until I added the SQL Agents to a protection group.  Now .. the machine will stay up for less than 24hrs before I cannot logon or off ..  It either hangs waiting for SENS  or group policy or some such.  I can generally login to the console.. but the DWM seems destroyed as I cannot do anything of use.  Sometime the box show no internet connectivity in the networking system tray.  Other times it doesnt. 

I have attempted looking at the processes with process explorer with no real hint as to the culprit.  The only solution is to power off the box..  wont be long and I'm sure Ill burn up the power supply or cause the file system to be hosed.  Also it seems the backups just stop executing so.. really I'm not even getting backups correctly.

I guess the only hope is to call PSS .  :(

Steve Lithgow
    Friday, October 14, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Did anyone get a response from MS regarding this issue?  It has just hit one of our 3 DPM servers.  At first we suspected a hardware issue such as the PERC H700 (Dell R510) losing access to the disks since there were no eventlog entries after the "freeze" occurs.  We then ran diags, contacted Dell (and stumped them), swapped out H700 and H800 controllers, updated drivers/firmware, etc.  Same results. 

I can pound on the machine with iometer and other tests all day, but as soon as I start DPM/SQL and replicate data from our new storage server cluster it will freeze anywhere from 5 minutes later to a few hours. 

Our server is a Dell R510 with 48GB RAM and 48 2TB disks over the H700 internal (12 disks) and three MD1200's on the H800.  When the problem happens the RDP session will freeze and nobody can log on the box.  I can still do a few things such as run pslist against the box and access the disk shares remotely (but not always).  The only resolution I have seen that works is a power cycle. 

We are running DPM 2010 rollup 2, latest windows updates, etc.

DPM/SQL causing a deadlock? 

Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:59 PM
  • Hello,

Such types of issues are not always a given to be a single root cause. Often times it requires perfmon useage, userdumps, vss tracing etc...

For instance in one case the VSS error of 80042319 was caused by a heavily fragmented drive causing complications with VSS taking a snapshot. In another instance the same error has another cause and is addressed via article 959978. 

Hardly is there ever a blanket solution for unresponsiveness.  Focusing on the VSS error listed in the first post vs. the unresponsiveness:

1.) Event logs are the best place to start along with "vssadmin list writers " at a command prompt to see if any of the writers are in a hung state.

2.) An analysis of the DPMRA and MSDPMCurr.errlogs may give an indication what jobs (if any) were kicked off right before the unresponsiveness.

3.) Perfmon counters would not hurt.  Some general counters include:

Logical Disk/Physical Disk
    \%idle
    • 100% idle to 50% idle = Healthy
    • 49% idle to 20% idle = Warning or Monitor
    • 19% idle to 0% idle = Critical or Out of Spec•
    \%Avg. Disk Sec Read or Write
    • .001ms to .015ms = Healthy
    • .015ms to .025 = Warning or Monitor
    • .026ms or greater = Critical or Out of Spec
    Current Disk Queue Length (for all instances)
    80 requests for more than 6 minutes.
    • Indicates possibly excessive disk queue length.

• Memory
    \Pool Non Paged Bytes*
    • Less that 60% of pool consumed=Healthy
    • 61% - 80% of pool consumed = Warning or Monitor.
    • Greater than 80% pool consumed = Critical or Out of Spec.

• \Pool Paged Bytes*
    • Less that 60% of pool consumed=Healthy
    • 61% - 80% of pool consumed = Warning or Monitor.
    • Greater than 80% pool consumed = Critical or Out of Spec.

• \Available Megabytes
    • 50% of free memory available or more =Healthy
    • 25% of free memory available = Monitor.
    • 10% of free memory available = Warning
    • Less than 100MB or 5% of free memory available = Critical or Out of Spec.

• Processor
    \%Processor Time (all instances)
    • Less than 60% consumed = Healthy
    • 51% - 90% consumed = Monitor or Caution
    91% - 100% consumed = Critical

If there are not indications as to a cause from this point then I suggest to open up a case with Microsoft. From there a colaborative effort between the DPM team and our Performance team can be done.

Shane

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Thanks for the response, Shane.  We have opened a case with MS to work the issue.  The DPM team transferred us over to the Windows Performance team so we'll see what they come up with. 

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Hello Wayne,

Please post back the results so that we may all learn from your experience.

Thanks,
    Shane

Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Will do.  Right now we are just gathering perfmon data and memory dumps when the lockups happens.  We sent one over and they'll analyze it on Monday.  It should be easy enough to gather a few as it only takes a few consistency checks / replica creations to reproduce the issue.  

Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:23 AM
  • Hello,

One other thing that just came to mind. Something that is often overlooked, fragmentation.  If the target server drive is heavily fragmented then this can also add to the problem.  Just something else to observe as well.

Thanks
    Shane

Monday, February 6, 2012 11:31 PM
  • You mean the protected server and not the replicas on the DPM server?  If so, that's a fairly horrible failure mode for the DPM server if it allows a protected machine to hang it.  That is, the hang I'm talking about requires a power cycle to recover from and not just a slow responding system. 

As far as the disks being protected -- the cluster we are adding to DPM is brand new with all 30TB or so robocopied to 50+ LUNs that are about 30% capacity.  I know NTFS used to fragment right off the bat back in the NT4 days, however, the disks are nearly 0% fragmented.  Not that I would defrag them as they are on thin provisioned disks on our SAN.  I did find out that someone analyzed some of the disks on the cluster recently.  That made me send out a "if you defrag/consolidate free-space on the cluster you will not be happy" email.  :)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:20 AM
  • Hello, 

Let me clarify a few things. That suggestion was based on a situation that I was involved in in dealing with DPM backups. The protected server had a large hard drive that was heavily fragmented and was also heavily utilized by many users on a constant bases.  This contributed, on the protected server, the 0x80042319 error you mentioned.  Just something else to look at during your investigation.

Thanks

Shane

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:23 PM
  • It looks like we are being hit by a deadlock in SIS.SYS on 2008 R2.  We were told there is a fix for previous versions of Windows but an R2 fix is not available yet.  I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but it sounds like it may be what is taking out our server:

Unfortunately, disabling SIS on the protected server is not an option we want to take due to the amount of data involved.  Hopefully we will have good news from the tech later today/monday.

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:52 PM
  • I appear to have the same issue. In fact I was pretty sure it had to do with a R2 Storage Server machine since the problem started when I tried to start backing up that machine. I created another DPM machine with the 2012 beta and have the same problem...

I haven't opened a ticket with Microsoft yet but I might well do so shortly.

• Edited by NSumner Monday, February 13, 2012 2:31 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 2:28 PM
  • I admit to being a little confused but never the less.

The DPM server itself of course doesn't have SIS. The Storage Server which is a server I am PROTECTING (backing up) has SIS. Therefore it would seem to me that you are talking about the storage server!

Of course it is also possible (but doesn't really make sense) that DPM has it's own SIS driver that it uses to read everything from the protected server and that is the problem, but I am dubious that is the case.

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:20 PM
  • DPM has a limited version of SIS installed (filter driver) that allows it to protect the files stored on a server that has the full-blown SIS (Storage Server, etc).  The other components of SIS are not installed (groveler service, sisadmin command, etc) on the DPM server. 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:59 AM
  • What appears to be the solution in our case was a hotfix from MS to fix a deadlock in SIS.SYS.  Quoting the MS support rep:

"You can post in the forum that you had to apply a hotfix for SIS.SYS that has not been released. In order to get the hotfix anyone facing this problem needs to open a case with us.  Case can later be closed as non-charged since this is solved by a hotfix. Also please mention that the hotfix is a windows hotfix, it is not a DPM Problem."

• Edited by Wayne Justin Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:37 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Update:  We are now experiencing missing volumes and replica creation point failures on our DPM server after installing the hotfix I mentioned.  I'm not certain the hotfix has caused the problem but this is a DPM server that has not had these issues in the past. 

The missing volumes are not on an entire disk that has dropped out due to bad hardware.  The partition is still there in disk manager and once I do a 'refresh' it shows up with the proper volume label.  So, a disk with multiple replica and recovery point disk slices working and one slice in the middle that contains the volume replica no longer has a volume name.

For example, with the volume missing the replica slice shows as "1792.00 GB NTFS Healthy" in disk management with no volume name.  After a disk refresh it restores the "DPM-vol_0f43d9a0...." volume label.  Soon after DPM will see the replica disk, mark it as inconsistent and require a CS. 

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Wayne,

On my old hardware which was junk and more than ready for the bin even without the hotfix when I was just playing a reboot game (I originally thought it was likely just the over 5 year old hardware) I had the same problem eventually. So I suspect it is another bug but not actually related to the above mentioned hotfix. I will hopefully be speaking to Microsoft later today to get my hands on the hotfix...

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Could you posibbly post the KB number or hotfix number. I am having some trouble getting support to find it...
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Keep us informed on what you find.  Our issue was definitely a deadlock in SIS -- MS analyzed memory dumps we sent them. The hotfix we installed is KB2608658.

We are still trying to diagnose why volumes are going missing.  I seem to have narrowed it down to whenever DPM (or anyone on the server) does any disk management tasks (new slice is created, Replica or RP volume expanded/created, rescan disks, etc).  Re-scanning the disks in disk manager or within DPM will sometimes fix the issue, but a consistency check may be needed on the formerly-missing replica which takes hours to complete given the amount of data we protect. 

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:40 PM
  • I got the hotfix from Microsoft yesterday. I have now backed up about 500GB out of 2TB without any issues, which is a very optimistic sign but I am not calling it  a sucess until it is 100% done.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Hello,

Did the hotfix resolve your issue? Did the backup complete?

Regards, Shane Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Referring right back to the OP.

I don't want to tread on anyones toes, however, I've witnessed being unable to RDP and network activity dying off, in multiple environments - and its been due to port exhaustion. I've seen this on large WAN implementations and also implementations with overly large protection groups.

You may want to try the following steps to see if it alleviates the symptoms:

Please bear in mind that increasing the values will have a marginal effect on memory consumption - so if you feel that your running close to capacity, raise it in sensible increments.

In windows 2003 - REG KEY -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\MaxUserPort

Value Decimal: 60000

(the default in 2003 is 5000, but this key will not exist)

In 2008 and 2008 R2 , you need to use NETSH command in an elevated command prompt

Run the folliowing 4 commands (assuming a mixed IPv6 IPv4 environment - also, as above if you want to increase gently, then the effective part of this command is the number after num=)

Netsh int ipv4 set dynamicport tcp start=10000 num=50000

netsh int ipv4 set dynamicport udp start=10000 num=50000

netsh int ipv6 set dynamicport tcp start=10000 num=50000

netsh int ipv6 set dynamicport udp start=10000 num=50000

(I think the default in this is 16380 usuable ports, or thereabouts)

• Edited by Gary_Jones Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:51 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Okay, the Good the Bad and the ugly.

The hotfix solved my primary issue but now I have the disappearing volumes issue. I am almost tempted to go back to Symanc%@p... I guess I will open a ticket with Microsoft on this issue...

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:04 PM
  • If you do open a case with Microsoft, you might want to reference case #112020358377521. This is our case with MS for exactly the same issue. We downgraded the OS to Win2k8 SP2 (Vista) server, installed DPM 2010, QFE rollup package 3 and KB979040. We had previously tested this configuration and determined that it worked without any disappearing volumes side-effects. We will keep everyone posted as to the results. We are only a tenth the way done with the initial replication of 30TB+.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:11 PM
  • NSummer,

Which hotfix are you refering to that lead to the missing volume issue ?

<SNIP>
    Okay, the Good the Bad and the ugly.

The hotfix solved my primary issue but now I have the disappearing volumes issue. I am almost tempted to go back to Symanc%@p... I guess I will open a ticket with Microsoft on this issue...

>SNIP<

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Mike,

Hotfix was KB2608658 same as Wayne. I will probably call and open a ticket next week with Microsoft. Today is not a work day where I live so I'm not going to call MS to open a ticket.

Friday, March 9, 2012 5:41 AM
  • I have this same problem and just applied the netsh adjustment, hopefully this will resolve my issue. Got to say this makes sense to me considering the amoun of network traffic that occurs into and out of this box.

Thanks!

Jeffrey S. Patton Assistant Director of IT School of Engineering Computing Services University of Kansas 1520 West 15th Street Lawrence, KS. 66045-7621 | http://patton-tech.com

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Jeffrey,

It is my guess that the Netsh commands that were offered by Gary_Jones won't fix your issue with your DPM Win2k8 R2 server, e.g., becoming unresponsive and having to be rebooted. I believe the real source of the problem lies with a deadlock in SIS.SYS when a DPM Win2k8 R2 server is used to protect SIS-enable volumes. At this point, our only salvation lies with the yet-to-be-released KB2608658. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend that you install that hotfix just yet. It appears to have some regression issues that cause volumes to disappear.

However, I would encourage you to open a case with Microsoft. If you do open a case with Microsoft, you might want to reference case #112020358377521. This is our case with Microsoft for, what I believe is, exactly the same issue that you are experiencing. If you find that this is not the case, let us know.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:13 PM
  • KB2608658 was released to WU & Download Center today.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:37 PM
  • Christian, you're right. I'll be applying the update mentioned below now that it's avialable. Has anyone else done this yet? thoughts? issues? regrets?

Jeffrey S. Patton Assistant Director of IT School of Engineering Computing Services University of Kansas 1520 West 15th Street Lawrence, KS. 66045-7621 | http://patton-tech.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:06 PM
  • Christian,

Stupid question, the update appears to be an update for Storage Server 2008 R2, which is not what I'm rolling for an OS on my SCDPM server. The link states that it should be available via windows update, but since I don't have that SKU I assume that I won't see it. So...how do I go about installing this? Assuming I can downlaod it, will it even install on my SKU?

Thanks,

Friday, March 16, 2012 7:52 PM
  • For DPM Servers running "Windows Server 2008" and experiencing server hangs while protecting Windows storage servers with SIS enabled voumes, you need to apply this fix on the DPM Server:

979040 Windows Server 2008 is unresponsive because of a deadlock in Sis.sys

For DPM Servers running "Windows Server 2008 R2" and experiencing server hangs while protecting Windows storage servers with SIS enabled voumes, you need to apply this fix on the DPM Server:

KB2608658 Update rollup for the SIS component in Windows Storage Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2608658

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Sorry, that update wasn't showing up for me, so when I went and checked my update server it was not marked as approved. It appears to have installed, and I guess I'll find out if it's working when I come in Monday.

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:45 PM
  • Jeffery,

Please, let everyone know if you see the “missing DPM volumes” issue that has been reported to this forum and appears to be associated with the KB2608658 hotfix. We had to downgrade our DPM servers OS to Windows Server 2008 SP2 in order to finally get successful short and long term backups to complete. Mike Jacquet has been unsuccessfully in his attempts to replicate this issue (and has been trying for several weeks). So far, NSumner and we have confirmed its existence.

Thanks

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Seriuosly? I have that as well! I've actually just blown away about 7T worth of backups in an attempt to start over! Are you saying this patch causes that? Or does it fix it? While it may not be clear, I saw this issue PRIOR to applying this fix and I believe I won't see it (if it's not resolved) for about a week, as that's about how long it seemed to take to show on a busy volume.

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Very Serious! We applied the pre-release version which appears to be the same version that was released. Because of the SIS.SYS deadlock issue, we didn’t have a chance to see the DPM missing volume magic trick when we added the SIS-enabled volumes to the protections groups. We only assumed that the patch caused that issue. While this patch did fix the SIS.SYS deadlock issue, I will tell you, that the hotfix did nothing for the disappearing DPM volume issue. We were able to do a simple rescan within disk manager to bring the missing volume back. Of course, DPM has to do a consistency check and what not.

Would you be willing to open a case with MS and reference case #112020358377521? I’d like to see this issue fixed. I figure, the more complaints they get, the more information they will collect on the problem.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Here is the thread I started about the disk missing issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/061a8ac3-ac01-461a-b75b-40cdb3683e23

No love at all.

Monday, March 19, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

If you are currently experiencing the "missing volume" issue could you please open a support case with us so we can enable some VDS logging and get DPM logs from your server and try to troubleshoot the issue.  So far we have not been able to reproduce this issue in a test environment.   If the issue turns out to be a Windows or  DPM code defect, you will not be charged for the case.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:14 PM
  • How do I do that?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Hi Jeffrey,

You can visit the following web site to open a support incident. The charge to your CC will not be processed until your case is resolved and closed, if it's a bug in the DPM 2010 or Windows then we wave all charges.

Solution Center: System Center Data Protection Manager
                     http://support.microsoft.com/ph/9765#tab0

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

In the Quick product finder, enter: System Center Data Protection Manager 2010

In the next screen, chose the option that applies.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:27 PM