Winlogon.exe Entry Point Not Found RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows XP Pro machine. It got a virus. The virus caused the system to get stuck in a boot loop. I attempted to load into Windows repair utility and preform a fixboot and fixmbr. This did not resolve the boot loop issue. I booted to the boot menu (F8) and turned off the reboot when encountering an error option. This lead me to a blue screen with a stop code of c000021a.

So I pulled the drive and hooked it up externally to another PC and preformed a malware/virus scan and removed all threats. Then I put the drive back into the PC and booted to my windows XP CD again. This time I preformed a Windows repair install. After that the system would start to boot but I would get a black screen with an error window that read: Winlogon.exe  Entry Point not found. The procedure entry point RtlIsThreadWithinLoader Callout could not be located in dynamic link library ntdll.dll. After that it would just hang and I would have to do a hard reboot.

So now I went back into the windows repair and backed up and deleted the registry files and loaded them from the repair folder. This did not resolve the issue either. So now I did a windows repair install one more time.

When it starts to boot i get a light blue screen that says windows setup is restarting. Then it goes to the same error message. However now I can click OK on the error. Which then brings me to the same error again but with a header of Service.exe instead of Winlogon.exe. Then when I click OK on that I get another message with a header of lsass.exe. After clicking OK on that one the system reboots again.

I have also tried "last know good configuration to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions short of doing a clean install?

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:54 PM

All replies