App-V Packages on the client during Migration. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've a question regarding what happens to App-V 4.6 packages published to our clients via SCCM 2007 during the migration process.

We deploy our App-V packages to our teaching environments with 'remove from client when no longer advertised' Unchecked. I understand that the client cache is -as expected- cleared during the installation of the 2012 client. I am wondering what the best scenario is to keep the App-v packages in full working order during our Migration.

My concern is when the Cache is wiped the Active upgrade feature of the App-V client will look for the package in the SCCM cache, it won't be there and launch will fail.

If the package is cached I could enable disconnected mode on the client and all will be ok, however I have no way of knowing if packages have been ran and are in the cache.

Has anyone else got to this stage and came across this potential migration headache? If so what did you do to deal with it?

In my mind I'm thinking a script deployment to enumerate and force the caching -i believe sftmime load causes the app to be cached- of any deployed App-V's prior to the start of migration then implementing a deployment freeze while we migrate.

Any discussion or input on this is appreciated.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:17 PM

All replies

• I of course should point out that we will be re-creating all App-v Advertisements as part of the migration process. Our goal here is to take precautionary measures to minimize any disruption to availability of App-V applications in some large area's which are open 24/7/365
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:18 PM