exchange 2007 outlook anywhere RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Im trying to setup outlook anywhere on my exchange 2007 server.When i go an run the remote connectivity analyzer I get the following errors:

Testing RPC/HTTP connectivity.
    The RPC/HTTP test failed.
    Additional Details
    Elapsed Time: 2063 ms.
    Test Steps
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to test Autodiscover for -----------.
    Testing Autodiscover failed.
    Additional Details
    Test Steps
    Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
    The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.
    Additional Details
    Test Steps

Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://

--------us/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml

Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
    Additional Details
    Elapsed Time: 1386 ms.
    Test Steps
    Attempting to resolve the host name ---------.us in DNS.
    The host name resolved successfully.
    Additional Details
    IP addresses returned: 216.244.117.166
    Elapsed Time: 102 ms.
    Testing TCP port 443 on host ---------.us to ensure it's listening and open.
    The specified port is either blocked, not listening, or not producing the expected response.
    <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl00_ctl00_ctl00_ctl01_tmmArrow">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>
    Additional Details
    A network error occurred while communicating with the remote host.
    Elapsed Time: 1284 ms.
    Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.--------.us/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
    Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
    Additional Details
    Elapsed Time: 259 ms.
    Test Steps
    Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.---------.us in DNS.
    The host name couldn't be resolved.
    <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl00_ctl00_ctl01_ctl00_tmmArrow">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>
    Additional Details
    Host autodiscover.--------.us couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
    Elapsed Time: 259 ms.
    Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
    The attempt to contact Autodiscover using the HTTP Redirect method failed.
    Additional Details
    Elapsed Time: 14 ms.
    Test Steps
    Attempting to resolve the host name autodiscover.---------.us in DNS.
    The host name couldn't be resolved.
    <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl00_ctl00_ctl02_ctl00_tmmArrow">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>
    Additional Details
    Host autodiscover.---------.us couldn't be resolved in DNS InfoDomainNonexistent.
    Elapsed Time: 14 ms.
    Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
    The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer failed to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
    Additional Details
    Elapsed Time: 401 ms.
    Test Steps
    Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.---------.us in DNS.
    The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.
    <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl00_ctl00_ctl03_ctl00_tmmArrow">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>
    Additional Details
    Elapsed Time: 401 ms.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:08 PM

Answers

• Are you going to use the "autodiscover.domain.com" name? If so, you need an "A" record in your external (internet-facing) DNS.

Are you using any sort of reverse-proxy to publish the URLs associated with Exchange? If you aren't, and you have only one Internet-facing IP address then you may be sending connection on port 443 to some other machine.

If your LAN uses private IP network addresses then, yes, you'll have to NAT the address. But the address is only one part of the socket -- the port number is the other. So where do connection arriving on port 443 go when they arrive from the Internet (if you have only one IP address)?

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, March 24, 2014 2:04 PM

All replies

• How have you configured your external autodiscover?

Is "domain.com" where you expect to find the autodiscover virtual directory? If so, verify that you can browse to https://domain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml. Maybe you have a firewall that sends connections on port 443 to you company's web site and not to your Exchange server.

If you chose to use "autodiscover.domain.com" then you're missing the Internet-facing "A" record for autodiscover.domain.com.

If you want to use a SRV record you're missing that in your Internet-facing DNS.

Friday, March 21, 2014 2:42 AM
  • There are 2 issue found based on your testing:

1. autodiscover.---------.us in DNS. The host name couldn't be resolved. Could you verify if this hostname do exist on your public DNS. Additional how to create SRV records. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940881/en-us

2. TCP port 443 on host ---------.us to ensure it's listening and open. Verify with your network team that port 443 is open at Gateway/Firewall

Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:37 AM
  • Thank you both for the replies. I’m new to this company’s environment and I’m getting familiar to their setup. I believe they NAT there public IP to their private exchange server. Would I have to NAT the autodiscover address to the public address? I did check  port 443 and it open to the exchange server. We have OWA setup and working properly.Your help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, March 24, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Are you going to use the "autodiscover.domain.com" name? If so, you need an "A" record in your external (internet-facing) DNS.

Are you using any sort of reverse-proxy to publish the URLs associated with Exchange? If you aren't, and you have only one Internet-facing IP address then you may be sending connection on port 443 to some other machine.

If your LAN uses private IP network addresses then, yes, you'll have to NAT the address. But the address is only one part of the socket -- the port number is the other. So where do connection arriving on port 443 go when they arrive from the Internet (if you have only one IP address)?

Monday, March 24, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Hi,

According to the test result, your host name autodiscover.domain.com cannot be resolved.

As far as I know, the error is mostly likely caused by that there is no public DNS entry about the name autodiscover.domain.com.

Thus, let’s double check it by directly accessing the following URL:

Htttps://autodiscover.domain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml

If you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,

Angela Shi
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:55 AM