Publishing Reports in PPS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am a little new to PPS. So i have a few basic questions.

1. PPS has a server component and Client access CALs component. Where are the CALs used typically?
    2. In the monitoring and Analytics, I could notice that the Dashboard Designer is the key component to design reports or to import reports from SQL reporting services or proclarity analytics server. Are any other components in monitoring and analytics that is useful in creating reports?
    3. How do we publish reports to end users using PPS? I know we can use Sharepoint to do the same. But using just the PPS components how do we publish reports? Can reports be directly published to Proclarity Analytics Server for end users to access them? 4. If we do not use Sharepoint portal for publishing the reports, do we have to purchase Proclarity Desktop designer to view PPS reports?

In short, we have currently budgeted only for PPS server and CALs (and of course SQL server 2005). With these components can we publish reports to end users without any other components involved? Let me know.

Thanks for your help and support.

Shri
    Deepak
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• Shriram Rajagopal said:

Hi, 

1. PPS has a server component and Client access CALs component. Where are the CALs used typically?

For License questions I suggest you contact a licensing expert as they will be able to provide you with the correct information.  To do this please see this site: http://www.microsoft.com/business/performancepoint/howtobuy/default.aspx

2. In the monitoring and Analytics, I could notice that the Dashboard Designer is the key component to design reports or to import reports from SCALA reporting services or proclarity analytics server. Are any other components in monitoring and analytics that is useful in creating reports?

Dashboard Designer is the component you use to design and publish reports. 

3. How do we publish reports to end users using PPS? I know we can use Sharepoint to do the same. But using just the PPS components how do we publish reports? Can reports be directly published to Proclarity Analytics Server for end users to access them? 4. If we do not use Sharepoint portal for publishing the reports, do we have to purchase Proclarity Desktop designer to view PPS reports?

SharePoint is the main output portal for PPS Monitoring reports.  You can publish to the preview site but this sites intention is not for end user comsuption as it is mainly use to preview prior to publishing to SharePointPPS can incorparte a Proclarity view but, you will not be able to publish to Proclarity from PPS.  Regarding the licensing question, I would also speak with a licensing expert. 

In short, we have currently budgeted only for PPS server and CALs (and of course SQL server 2005). With these components can we publish reports to end users without any other components involved? Let me know.

Shri

Deepak

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Shriram,

PPS Monitoring requires WSS or MOSS 2007 and from the deployment Guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb838753.aspx

Monitoring Server software prerequisites

The following software prerequisites must be satisfied before you install PerformancePoint Monitoring Server.

Either Office SharePoint Server 2007 or Windows SharePoint Services must be installed in order to successfully install and use Monitoring Server. Monitoring Server supports Excel Services as a report type and data source, but is supported only with Office SharePoint Server 2007 installed instead of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0. To review the difference between these SharePoint Products and Technologies, see Which SharePoint technology is right for you.

Thank you,
    Sundar - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Shriram Rajagopal said:

Hi, 

For License questions I suggest you contact a licensing expert as they will be able to provide you with the correct information.  To do this please see this site: http://www.microsoft.com/business/performancepoint/howtobuy/default.aspx

2. In the monitoring and Analytics, I could notice that the Dashboard Designer is the key component to design reports or to import reports from SCALA reporting services or proclarity analytics server. Are any other components in monitoring and analytics that is useful in creating reports?

Dashboard Designer is the component you use to design and publish reports. 

SharePoint is the main output portal for PPS Monitoring reports.  You can publish to the preview site but this sites intention is not for end user comsuption as it is mainly use to preview prior to publishing to SharePointPPS can incorparte a Proclarity view but, you will not be able to publish to Proclarity from PPS.  Regarding the licensing question, I would also speak with a licensing expert. 

Shri

Deepak

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:42 PM