Error running .vbs, tried the usual solutions found on the net. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I seem to have hit a snag with one of the computers running Windows Vista Business 32 Bit.I keep getting the following error :  CScript Error: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script \\server\netlogon\script.vbs.

The computer executes a logon batch script that calls on cscript to execute a .vbs file located in the NETLOGON folder of our active directory domain controller. This works fine on all other computers in the domain, but it will not load on that specific machine. I have tried to copy the .vbs script locally to run it, but the error message persists.

I have tried to register the VBScript.dll DLL using regsvr32, uninstalled Windows Update KB981332 (if memory serves me right), used SFC /scannow to detect and fix corrupt files, and replaced said dll with the vbscript.dll from another Vista Business 32bit machine that is able to run the script. I've also tried a few other things that had to do with the registery, but no luck so far.

There is an Antivirus Installed, Kaspersky 6.0MP4, but this antivirus is also installed on all other machines and is managed via a management interface on the server using policies. This machine should have the same AV policies as all others. 

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem before?

Thank you!

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Please grant Full Control permissions to the service account and also excluded the script from being scanned by Norton. Very likely, excluding the file from being scanned by Norton will resolve the issue because some antivirus uses filter driver to monitor file accesses and may not properly handle such file access attempts.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 20, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately the steps listed do not seem to have resolved the issue.

I have created an exclusion in Kaspersky for the file that I copied locally to remove the network equation from the problem. I gave the SERVICE account on the local machine full permissions, but the error persists.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this artical http://blogs.technet.com/b/instan/archive/2010/07/20/can-t-find-script-engine-quot-vbscript-quot-for-script-after-installing-ms10-020.aspx

and note the following:

"Temporarily uninstalling the AV product as a test should confirm if this is the case, you should however confirm that the registry key has been reverted properly back to use vbscript.dll so that the VBScript engine gets called directly."

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Regards,

Monday, June 27, 2011 3:13 AM